GL1200 weird noise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not participated in the forum for a long time but I always visit from time to time to see how the Oldwings world is going. As usual I only post when I need help. :oops:

My brother was given a 1985 GL1200 (lucky), which did not have the carburetor rack installed. When we asked the past owner why they were not installed and he replied: "I took them out to check a fuel leak and took the opportunity to install the kit on all the carburetors. But it has been a long time (2 years) and I don't know how install them back. "

Since last week we have been struggling with gas leaks but finally we managed to turn on the machine. The problem I see is that I feel a strange noise in the engine, something very similar when the bike is thirsty for gasoline. It is worth mentioning that the only thing that stays on is using the choke. If I use the throttle she dies.

After having turned it on for a few minutes I checked the temperature of the 4 exhaust to make sure we have combustion in the 4 cylinders. It is a possibility that I have f*** the setting of the floats, since there was a time when we had gas leaking everywhere and I thought that maybe the floats were poorly adjusted. I adjusted them to 7.5mm. To that extent they cut the gas.

Friends, I've talked a lot and I want to hear your impressions.

Regards,

Jungo

Hey Jungo, glad to see you posting!

When you can only run with the choke fully closed and cannot increase speed with the throttle without stalling or slowing down, then there is a gas restriction. It is only running at a higher speed with the choke on because the vacuum is higher making a rich enough mixture to make it run a bit faster.

Good chance the main jets are clogged or as you mentioned the floats are not adjusted correctly. The opposite is also true if you are flooding, but the difference I believe you are have is that the choke is allowing it to run pointing to little to no gas. I have never worked on 1200 carbs, but I am pretty sure they have to be synced just like 1100's.

Dear brothers, I want to tell you about everything that has happened with my brother's GL1200.

I followed the recommendations of all of you and there was a great improvement. The noise decreased considerably but not completely. All vacuum hoses were verified and I found one in the air. I mean the one that goes from the ignition module to a port on carb # 4.

The jets were removed and cleaned, the floats verified and the air mix screws removed and cleaned. They were returned back to 2 and a quarter turns. Finally it improved noticeably but to be sure I left the machine on for 15 minutes. I checked the exhaust temperature and 1, 2 and 4 marked approx 300 degrees, but number 3 only 150 degrees! I screamed: "150 degrees ?? Impossible !!!" :rant:

I took out the spark plug # 3 and you can imagine. There was only crude fuel. I replaced the spark plug and Bammmm! :music: :music: The machine sounds perfect. The acceleration is enviable and my brother is super happy.

Thanks my brothers for your advice and your help. God bless you all.

Jungo

PS. Hey Joe lets ride. Are you in FL?

:Egyptian: i LOVE it when a brand comes in leather! :smilie_happy:

Great to hear you got her back into the land of the 'proper sounding'. It wasn't a 'wierd' noise... if it sounded like a camel grunting... or a horse dropping lunch, or my daughter's French Horn, I'd say that was 'weird'...

I gotta put a new set of plugs in mine, and give the clutch cylinder a rebuild... but haven't gotten to it just yet... but soon...

Latest posts