Goldwing newbi

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
My Bike Models
'83 GL1100 Interstate
'17 CB500X,
I'm considering becoming a vintage 'Oldwing owner so it's easier and more comfortable for my wife to ride with me. I've located a pretty solid 87 GL1200. Other than the routine maintenance items like fluids, timing belts, etc. are there any common issues that I should be looking for? The one that is #1 on my list at this point has been owned and ridden regularly by the same guy for the past 5 yrs.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been checking this forum for a few days as I've been searching and have found good information. I figured it was time I just join in.

Sounds like a nice 87 ..with 1200s if it's running good now at purchase time it's a good sign ...on 1200s it's carbs and dreaded black box ingition system that can give fits ...lots of parts are unobtanible ..theres no doubt the bottom end shortblocks ate the best of all oldwing 4s

Well, the '87 was sold before I got to it. However I bought an '83 GL1100 Interstate yesterday and rode it the 120 miles home. 2 owners, 45,000 miles, always garaged. The prev owner bought it from his friend in 1998. All maintenance is up to date including the timing belts. The only real issue is the front brake master cyl. I'll probably be asking you folks a few questions in the future starting with... Where is a reputable place to find parts for these old girls? Such as the master cyl kit.

I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance in a week or so. Thanks in advance for your help.