Graduated to a GL1000 (from a GL12)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've discussed this elsewhere, but after thinking about it, there isn't another group on the internet that can relate to this more than this one...

I've enjoyed classic 'Wing ownership for several years now. Even the numerous busted knuckles from the Aspencade have been enjoyable. I guess I'm making up for lost time. Time I squandered on muscle cruisers - ignoring the big Goldwing - which has become my all-time favorite motorcycle

Or in the case of my "new" acquisition, a "small" Goldwing. Yes, I now have in the garage a '78 GL1000. Not my favorite year (wanted a '75/6/7), but I could not pass on the price. Price you ask? Well, let's just say that I got rid of my LEAST favorite firearm. Been trying to sell that old Colt for a while. Makes a little more room in the safe...but I digress.

On to the GL1000. Far from perfect, it runs like carp, stops if you like mostly rear brakes and the 24 year old PO pulled it apart intending to make a bobber out of it. Luckily, I got it before he did any real damage.

I think I have all the bits (except shifter and handlebar). Very, very clean, chrome is mint, frame paint is mint, there is no rust. Anywhere.

Needs a right side cover (there, but cracked badly), handlebars (now has a drag bar), tank gauge pod cover (busted), headlight bulb, shifter lever (has heel/toe rig on there now). Idles like carp, but smooths out over 2k or so. Carbs need to be gone through. I've tried running some Seafoam through it, but I have had no improvement - the rack needs to come off.

Things aren't too bad, but I have gotten a couple of surprises. Good and bad.

First the bad. The cool shorty exhaust tips that I planned on ditching will be with me for a while. I have the factory mufflers in near pristine condition, but it seems the PO WELDED the tips onto the head pipes! And not a little bit of weld. Yeah, I'll be looking for a pair of head pipes - hadn't expected that one.

The good, I think, is that someone put an electronic ignition setup on this thing. Anyone recognize it? (Below)

I've begun ordering bits and pieces from Thebay and stuff should start coming in next week. The only big item I'm looking for will be a nice solo seat/tail combo.

Compression checks good - 145 - 155'ish. Still idles like, well, carp. Put in a half a can of Seafoam and am ran it through. Didn't help. Cylinder #3 just ain't hitting - even though there's fire in the hole. For now, the plan is to get her running and stopping like she's supposed to and I'm just gonna ride it. It'll be my freeway warrior commuter (50 miles a day).

And I'm gonna lose the center stand. Two reasons, the bike seems to have been lowered a bit. The fork tubes have been slid up in the trees about an inch. I guess the shocks are stock height, but danged if I can get the sumwitch onto the stand. I can flip the Aspy up easily. This pig is a no-go. Besides, that has got to be one of the ugliest centerstands ever put on a motorcycle...

All in all, I can't complain. I paid $150 for that old Colt 3 years ago.

Wish me luck. Oh, and I'll try not to re-tread too many old topics. If the archives serve, I should be OK, otherwise I might pipe up.

Attachments

• 00N0N_19ybyNwMaYT_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_19ybyNwMaYT_600x450.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 00G0G_57mO5DNLyNQ_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_57mO5DNLyNQ_600x450.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 00101_FJMIXSQDAo_600x450.jpg
    00101_FJMIXSQDAo_600x450.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 262
yes that's a ignition is a Dyna S electronic ignition ...there differences in the ehaust headers for the 1000s the 75-77 wont work with the stock mufflers in your pics ...exhaust headers have to be from 78-79 ...nice bike

I have a 1980 naked wing and it to is a bear to get up on the center stand. The tires are the correct size and when up on the center stand the rear tire is off the ground by at least 1.75". I have owned this bike for over 25 years and there is no frame damage or crashes that could explain the problem. I have asked other wingers and they direct me to web sites or tell me how their wives can get their wings up. I think if the rear wheel was up only a 1/2" from the pavement it would pop up easier. I don't like to admit this but I took a lawn mower T handle and a short piece of cord and tied it to the frame. This does help some. I like the center stand and would be reluctant to remove it.

Roll the rear wheel up on a 2x6 inch or so board,that will help get the bike up on the center stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the love - and the tips. I'm glad Joe mentioned head pipes from early 1000's won't fit the mufflers from '78/9. Also appreciate the tips on centerstand usage - I've heard these kind of suggestions before. I still plan to pull it. It's ugly as sin, weighs about 150 pounds and I'm used to not having one on cruisers.

I'm not planning on a restoration here. Not even close. It'll have a little edge to it. I love the look of a mild custom GL1000. Been lusting after one for couple of years.

I have a few irons in the fire right now, but I'll pop in and update this one as it progresses. I'll probably be pulling the carb rack later this week. That's job one right now. Then Front brake sprucing and a seat (DO NOT LIKE that road sofa monstrosity). That's going on the chopping block.

I am unbelievably stoked on this thing.

Who knew?

Thanks again for the kind comments, guys.

/Darrell

The pipes are on the way out. I was disappointed to find the tips very strongly welded to the nice silver head pipes. I have since picked up a pair of black headpipes, but hope to get these shorty tips off cleanly so I can re-use the nicer originals. I really want something besides the factory mufflers, but I definitely won't be going with these shorties.

I'm too old for that open header nonsense. (Hope there are no Harley pirates listening in).

I apologize for abandoning this thread. I detailed it elsewhere, but it seems that the tale should have been told here.

The good news is that it has a happy ending. This bike turned out to be a very good runner with brakes that stop RIGHT NOW. (Better than my '84 Aspencade). I completed the reconstruction a couple of weeks ago and already have about 600 miles on the bike. So far, my only gripes are a too-tight throttle pull (need to re-route the cables) and the absolutely crap 290mm Chinese shocks I decided to put on it. I knew better. I did it anyway. Now I need some real, big boy shocks - at about 11.5".

I blatantly stole ideas I'd seen all over the internet with what guys have been doing. Here are a few photos of the bike as it currently sits. I've been riding this one exclusively. The Aspy and VMax are sitting on battery tenders for now.

I still have all the factory bits (except seat) and nothing has been cut or hacked. Could be a stocker again.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2085 - crop.JPG
    IMG_2085 - crop.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG