Greetings from WNY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny42

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been riding since 1972 when I got my first bike, a new CB350. I moved up to a new CB550K Four a few years after that. I sold that and bought my new 1983 Goldwing Interstate in 1983. My wife bought me a new VF500 Four a few years later which I sold a few years after that. All new. I've never purchased a used bike. Before kids, my wife and I would tour/camp all over New England. VT, NH, ME, CT and into New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. No hotels, just camping, and always the last 2 weeks of August to minimize heat and bugs.

I've been a solo rider my entire life. No one at school rode. No one in my neighborhood rode. None of my co-workers rode. I do prefer the solitude of riding and riding with someone would likely take me out of my comfort zone. Not that I'm a snob, it's just my circumstances.

I still ride my Wing but this year I bought a second bike, a Royal Enfield Himalayan for more adventure type riding. I've taken it to forest roads and gravel roads with a few day trips to the Allegheny National Forest in PA. I can hit back roads with less than ideal pavement condition and flick that thing around. Something I really wouldn't want to do on the Wing. Then, if I see a limited access, seasonal road, I check it out.

This year I rode down to Ohio, spent several days in a hotel and did most of the Windy 9 routes. Spectacular riding. Something there's not a lot of in Western New York where all the roads are straight and go North or South, or East or West. If I want curves, I have to ride at least 30 minutes to get to them.

Anyway, probably like many of you, I check these forums out for advice and help. I currently have an exhaust issue that I've posted and hope I can get some good solid advice/solutions.

Hmmm that might be true but I’ve seen a lot of videos from that part of the world ...I’m amazed how people use bikes there and there riding skills ...I’ve seen bikes used as trucks ....carry dam near 10 people on them ..even seen a tiger try to chase a bike down on the road to attack it ...must not like the sound LOL...

Welcome, from western new york! I too find myself riding alone most of the time. I ride to Pa. for a weekend of camping with the motocampers group, I find it lets me set my own pace and stop for whatever distracts me.
I'm in Amherst and just got a '78 cb550 to tinker with this winter.

Latest posts