Head gasket gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
Well unfortunately this cold weather has showed a head gasket weeping on my 76 gl1000 so long story short is there a gasket kit that everybody is having good luck with? Now remember I ride a lot so I want to know what is the best kit don't wanna change it again in a year

Never used Vesrah, but properly prepared (100% clean, flat surfaces on both head and block) should work fine. BTW, Randakks is just a subsidiary of Z1 Enterprises which also owns Dime City Cycles and Mikes XS.

Yeah I know they are honestly I thought about having the block surfaced so I could run mls gasket and be done with it but I would have to stud the block

I have used Vesrah or Athena for years with no trouble. The vast majority of problems with aftermarket gaskets are due to not following the proper installation procedure to the letter.
The biggest failure is is to not Moly grease the bolt threads AND under the bolt heads.
The second is not taking the torque to 45ft/lbs. Many of the old manuals will still have the original 40 ft/lbs.

I have used Vesrah or Athena for years with no trouble. The vast majority of problems with aftermarket gaskets are due to not following the proper installation procedure to the letter.
The biggest failure is is to not Moly grease the bolt threads AND under the bolt heads.
The second is not taking the torque to 45ft/lbs. Many of the old manuals will still have the original 40 ft/lbs.
Thanks man I actually own a small engine business so I definitely understand the preparation step basically was just needing info on the best gasket for the job actually considering milling surfaces and using mls

Got the heads off today there was one head bolt that was backed off. think that's what caused the initial problem cylinder bores look fantastic barely any carbon no rings at top of bore. Some carbon on valves not bad though. So I checked the valves for leakage with vacuum pulled and it's all good but my question is since I'm getting the heads decked should I lap the valves or no? They don't leak but I'm concerned that they will need dissembed since they will need cleaning after milling

Got everything surfaces today cleaned up and ready for gaskets does anyone have the part number of the dowels that go into the head or at least the size.im gonna put some new valve seals too does anyone know if it's safe to clean the carbon off these valves

Sure, you can wire brush the valves. The dowel part numbers are on the parts lists/drawings available on many Honda parts suppliers web sites. Don't forget the oil flow restrictor and o-rings.

My 1976 LTD had Antifreeze Leaked and it Steamed. I am currently working on it.. Got this Head Gasket from Sabre Cycle in Kansas City Missouri. I’m hoping to ride it out to Oklahoma Polar Bear run this weekend…Today I just watched Dan Filipi’s YouTube channel gl1000 camshaft on the 1200 it’s pretty cool!

Attachments

• EB4A09D3-E17E-4786-B625-6E26349CC0FD.jpeg
    EB4A09D3-E17E-4786-B625-6E26349CC0FD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 9006604C-A93C-48BD-B89F-51E8D1BEA2E9.jpeg
    9006604C-A93C-48BD-B89F-51E8D1BEA2E9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Got everything surfaces today cleaned up and ready for gaskets does anyone have the part number of the dowels that go into the head or at least the size.im gonna put some new valve seals too does anyone know if it's safe to clean the carbon off these valves
yep, dont lap the valves. honda actually said dont do it way back then. i chuck valves in a drill press and use emory cloth to clean da carbon off. note, dont hold the emory to the valve with your thumb for long unless you like blisters!
oh yeah, i have used vesrah gaskets and brake pads on lots of jap bikes over the years. they work!

yep, dont lap the valves. honda actually said dont do it way back then. i chuck valves in a drill press and use emory cloth to clean da carbon off. note, dont hold the emory to the valve with your thumb for long unless you like blisters!
oh yeah, i have used vesrah gaskets and brake pads on lots of jap bikes over the years. they work!
Do these gaskets require any copper spray or dry? The Honda Manuel doesn't specify

I've done 4 engines with Vesrah gaskets and copper spray, no problems yet (5 years).

Attachments

• 20150604_204707.jpg
    20150604_204707.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150604_204641.jpg
    20150604_204641.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 0