headlight, turnsignals, brake light work, no running lights or tail light?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask because I think I might know what's up here but that is usually when I get in trouble...

Last night my dash lights, running lights, and tail lights all went out. 5A fuse blown. Replace. They come back on and then blow again immediately (the fuse). I 'think' that it's because I have a bad bulb or a dirty socket, sound logical?

I'm having some strange behavior from the ignition now, the key isn't turning off the headlight, I was going to replace it anyway and I have a new one. So, the plan is that I"m going to swap the ignition switch while I'm checking the wires, bulbs, and other assorted goodies on the lights that aren't working.

Is there anything I should also check/look for? I have the wiring schematic so I'll be following that, but anyone have any handy tricks they can share?

Thanks,
Chris

Electric problems like this can be tricky so try to keep it simple.

I think I'd start by removing all the bulbs or unplugging the running lights to help narrow down the short/overload.
If the fuse still blows then there could be a short in the wiring harness leading to those lights or the dash lights which needs digging deeper.

Also 5 amps isn't much current. Have you added any lights or other loads to that circuit? Might help to narrow it down.

The ignition switch when off should remove all power from the fuse box. Only the headlight not turning off sounds suspicious, like the circuit is getting backfed somehow.
Wires get crossed somewhere?

Hey Dan -

No, I haven't added anything at all. It's quite possible the wires may have crossed, I need to get into the wires behind the headlight to make sure the connections are secure and tidy, pulling all the bulbs to check the fuse is a great idea.

Thank you sir.

Well....ya could put a 30 amp fuse in there, and then follow the smoke.... :blush:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
The headlight staying on would be my starting point, too....something stinks in Denmark. You may find a wire, or a connector that has melted/shorted out behind the headlight....sure would be nice if it is that simple.

ok so really dumb question, what do you do with a shorted out connection? Can you just cut it out and wire up a proper connection? Is it safe to just cut out burned sections of wire if you find them and replace with new wire, or is there a specific technique that works better?

Well there's always a reason the wire burned.
Could be it was laying against a hot engine part or exhaust or something like this or it could have burned from an overload or short to ground. Need to find out what caused that wire to burn. A hot part could have made the wire short to ground in the first place.

To fix it I'd cut it out and splice in a new piece of wire of the same gauge or larger.

Thanks Dan, yeah I get that there's always a reason for the problem...I got behind the headlight tonight and found a couple of connectors that were pulled partially apart, looks like when the harness was put back into the back of the headlight there were a couple small sections of where the wire was going into the connectors that it was actually touching the headlight bucket...so I cleaned them up and checked all the bulbs, etc in the other lights. I haven't reconnected the battery yet I'll do that tomorrow night, didn't want to rush and miss something.

I also swapped the ignition switch while I was in there since it was on the list already. Tomorrow night will be the test, so I'll let y'all know.

Thanks again!

Ok so the fuse keeps blowing and I have no running or tail lights still...

Is there a good way to isolate the circuit that has the issue since I know what fuse it is on? Turn signals/ brake lights work fine as does the headlight, but no dash lights. I have taken all the light bulbs out and the fuse still blows so it's gotta be a short, but how do you find one???

Thanks guys,
Chris

Only way I know now to find is to start unplugging stuff being powered by that fuse until the shorted line shows up.
I think under the seat there are plugs going to the rear lights, I'd start there.
The wiring diagram will help A LOT here. We have a color one in the gallery if needed.

That's right. Unplug all lighting you can at the wire harness plugs.
To save fuses I'd unplug all the lights then plug in one at a time til the fuse blows. That will be your shorted circuit wiring.
Green is ground so those should stay plugged in.
It sounds like your short is from one of the positive wires to ground.

Well, I found the problem...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347588856.172978.jpg

I located the 'pinch' that was back feeding the headlight, the whole ignition connector and the brown and white wire are fused together. If you can see the pic, I cut back the tape he had wrapped the wires with and about 3 oz of water came out...nice job, previous owner!

Any thoughts? There is unmelted wire I can cut back to, can I do that and re- wire the 6 wire plug that goes to the ignition switch using same gauge wire? Looks like 14 to my eye, but id check that first.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347589182.507814.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347589203.210834.jpg

Yep! Cut that stuff out one at a time a solder in new wires. If you slide some heat shrink tubing on the wires first they seal up the connections nice.

I had a problem like that and found wires under seat between frame pinched and blowing fuses on my lights. Might check there ! :beg:

chrisbags":oeld0m7a said:
I have to ask because I think I might know what's up here but that is usually when I get in trouble...

Last night my dash lights, running lights, and tail lights all went out. 5A fuse blown. Replace. They come back on and then blow again immediately (the fuse). I 'think' that it's because I have a bad bulb or a dirty socket, sound logical?

I'm having some strange behavior from the ignition now, the key isn't turning off the headlight, I was going to replace it anyway and I have a new one. So, the plan is that I"m going to swap the ignition switch while I'm checking the wires, bulbs, and other assorted goodies on the lights that aren't working.

Is there anything I should also check/look for? I have the wiring schematic so I'll be following that, but anyone have any handy tricks they can share?

Thanks,
Chris

Yup....I think that would do it! There's where all the smoke came out. Cut that crap out one at a time, splice in new wires, and you'll be gud as new!

Latest posts