Hello from Lipan,Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufford

Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 GL1100 for $200. It's been setting up for 23yrs. My goal is to bring it out of it's retirement.I'm a do it yourselfer and have 44yrs. of motorcycle expereince,but am always willing to learn from others.The bike was stored inside,and is intact so it looks pretty good.Well here we go

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Rufford!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Guess what ? The floats must have been stuck. There was gas in the oil so off come the carbs.I'lltake some advice and go with a new timeing belt to.The suspension doesn't seem to hold air. Looks like this projects going to take a few dead president's,but at the $200 purchase price it may still be worth it.I'm going to do all the work myself.

I would expect both and a good many more things need attention after this long in storage. I suggest you remove the plugs and get a good look in the cylinders for rust. Once the mechanicals are sorted out you should go through the wiring and clean all the connectors and tighten them. Then protect them with dielectric grease.

Well, this could be cool! :cool:

Soak, soak, soak those rings with 2-cycle oil or atf before attempting to turn the engine. And I mean for at least a week.

For the carb rebuild, the post here about using Pine-Sol mixed 50:50 with water is one of the cleverest things I've seen.

Good luck and as Red Green says, "We're all pullin' for you!" :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum -
These Carbs dont like sitting that long, lots of good carb rebuild threads here.

Welcome to this great forum from Canada's west coast. There is a lot of great knowledge here abouts so don't be afraid to asked questions. Cheers Angela aka fysty-1 :Egyptian: :yahoo: :wave: :wave: