Hello from Minnesota

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56michael

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Vetter Package
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
2016 Harley Davidson Fat Boy S
Hello from Minnesota everyone. Ive been riding and working motorcycles for a long time and all of a sudden I have two old Goldwings. 81 GL1100 Standard 19,000 miles with a Vetter package and a 82 GL1100 Interstate 46,000 miles. Both have been sitting at least 5 years but ran before that. Working on getting the 81 running first. Paid $800 for the 81 and $300 for the 82.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! Sounds like a lot of fun, but give it some patience after sitting for 5 years or more. These old girls don't like sitting!

Hello and welcome! Thanks for joining.

Welcome to the fun. Make sure you pull off the valve covers and see the valves close smoothly while turning over by hand. If a valve sticks open when the starter is used, it bends the valve when the piston closes it.

Welcome to the fun. Make sure you pull off the valve covers and see the valves close smoothly while turning over by hand. If a valve sticks open when the starter is used, it bends the valve when the piston closes it.
Thanks I’ll be sure to check that out. Let me know if you think of anything else I need to be looking at.

Welcome to the asylum 56Michael.

Watch out for M B S, (multiple bike syndrome), an ailment that many of us have contracted.

It seems to be incurable, in my case four Wings, two 84 standards, 87 Interstate, & a 91 Aspencade.

Have since been bitten by the X350-358 Jaguar virus, as i have one of each.

The Wings are still in the rear of the shop, not ridden lately, but still staying put.

Welcome to the asylum 56Michael.

Watch out for M B S, (multiple bike syndrome), an ailment that many of us have contracted.

It seems to be incurable, in my case four Wings, two 84 standards, 87 Interstate, & a 91 Aspencade.

Have since been bitten by the X350-358 Jaguar virus, as i have one of each.

The Wings are still in the rear of the shop, not ridden lately, but still staying put.
Thanks for the warning, I’ll be on the lookout for any additional symptoms of this dreaded syndrome. Have a great day!!

MBS...it's a gift! Any appreciable pain can be avoided by diversifying. The only real cure is a bike for every mood. I'm was nearing my storage limit but discovered a temporary solution...shelterLogic.com
The herd now includes, 74cb550k,77cb550f,78cb550k,83gl1100i, 83gl1100a, 83gl1100mongrel,08HDFxstc, 91bmwk75,82cb650cafe, 79VWtrikeWilmac, &3'78cb750k basket cases. If I live long enough the goal is to ride each one at least once! Then...I'll be cured.