Hello from Yakima

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride Now

Reaction score
Put this off long enough; here's my big hello from Yakima, WA. Bought this low mileage '87 Interstate beauty a couple of weeks ago. Put on new tires (Shinko 230s), fresh brake pads all around, new wrap around windshield, and miscellaneous little tweeks. Adjusted the pilot jet screws and running some Star Tron fuel fixer-upper in it to try and clear up the stuttering. :builder:

What a great site! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20150409_141635_resized.jpg
    20150409_141635_resized.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20150409_141657_resized.jpg
    20150409_141657_resized.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20150409_142010_resized.jpg
    20150409_142010_resized.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 140
Welcome from the Columbia River Valley! That's a sweet looking ride you've got there! A lot of great guys here if you have any questions!

Welcome from parched Los angles..Nice looking bike, maybe might have to pull the carbs but give the additives a shot, a nice long freeway trip helps these problems sometimes.

Welcome from Oz, nice bike. Hopefully it will settle in nicely with your fuel additive :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145836#p145836:1j16epbl said:
slabghost » Today, 3:56 am[/url]":1j16epbl]
Welcome aboard. Is that Jardines exhaust I see on the bike?

Slabghost, I'm not sure what kinda exhaust it is, 'cause it was on there when I bought the bike. The P.O. said it was the one thing he didn't like about the bike, but I'm kinda gettin' used to it. :music: I do know you can't just loosen it and pivot it outta the way, like the stock exhaust, to remove the rear axle. :head bang: We had to pull it off to do that when we replaced the 14 year old tires. :shock:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes! :mrgreen:

By the exhaust pipe color looks like the right side is running lean, left maybe a little less,Personally I would find the trouble before blueing them anymore They do sell a blue off for getting blueing of exhaust pipe chrome, not sure if it works but they say it does.
Additives may work over a period of time but might not be worth turning the pipes blue.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145879#p145879:gpkdwsuh said:
zman » 24 minutes ago[/url]":gpkdwsuh]
By the exhaust pipe color looks like the right side is running lean, left maybe a little less,Personally I would find the trouble before blueing them anymore They do sell a blue off for getting blueing of exhaust pipe chrome, not sure if it works but they say it does.
Additives may work over a period of time but might not be worth turning the pipes blue.

Thanks for the heads up zman. When I removed the pilot screw plugs I discovered that they were set at 2.5 turns out on cylinders 2 & 4 (left bank) and at 1.75 turns on cylinder 1 and 1.5 turns on cylinder 3. (right bank) :head bang: Interesting that the spark plugs all looked about the same, not sooty or white. I have, since finding this, set them all to best idle, twice (following instructions from this forum) and doing some more road testing. May have to tear them all down; hope not. :beg:

slabghost":7dspu972 said:
Welcome aboard. Is that Jardines exhaust I see on the bike?
My Jardines look a lot like this, but my friend has a 1200 with Macs that look like those. The Jardines should have markings on them somewhere.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145879#p145879:314gf65c said:
zman » Today, 11:01 am[/url]":314gf65c]
They do sell a blue off for getting blueing of exhaust pipe chrome, not sure if it works but they say it does.

If Blue Away is the same as it was in 1978, it works, had to use on 1975 850 Commando pipes, they were always blueing.

Welcome to classics and nice bike there.

I just did the carb rack on y '84 and all my pilot screws were also different like that so that seems common from Honda and I wouldnt worry about them too much. Seems like the problem may be in the rack itself if its laboring on acceleration. Maybe your additive will work for you tho. Did the bike sit for a long time? Maybe you will get lucky and it will free itself up, but that rack is pretty easy to do. In the mean time, nothing better for it than just ridding the piss out of it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146111#p146111:n0gjxeyi said:
bronko37 » 44 minutes ago[/url]":n0gjxeyi]
Welcome to classics and nice bike there.

I just did the carb rack on y '84 and all my pilot screws were also different like that so that seems common from Honda and I wouldnt worry about them too much. Seems like the problem may be in the rack itself if its laboring on acceleration. Maybe your additive will work for you tho. Did the bike sit for a long time? Maybe you will get lucky and it will free itself up, but that rack is pretty easy to do. In the mean time, nothing better for it than just ridding the piss out of it.

It's just a little bit flat on hard acceleration from low to mid rpm and makes a chuff sound through the carb(s) at very low rpm when accelerating, like in town 90 degree corners. Gonna have my friend, a retired Honda mechanic, give it the once over in the carbs department; he has a couple of ideas. Did you do the "idle drop" setting or just tune the pilot screws by ear? :thanks: