Hello to everybody

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidy1969

Reaction score
I'm David from Va. I got a 76 Gl1000 with velorex sidecar!! I luv it and so does my kids. She needs a little carb work and few other issues. Glad I found this site as I could use advice on this upcoming project. Cant wait till Spring :music3: :moped:

Welcome to the fun David. Was the 76 an early Christmas present? Lot's of great people and help here.

Carbon problems? Build up from running rich? Tell us all about it. You can do it here or start in a new topic.

Started with running rich- fouling plugs then carbon started leaking fuel. Bike appears to be original doesn't look like the Caribs have ever been off.Unfortunately the bike site for few years before I got it. I'm thinking I will send it to Pistol Pete carbon rebuilders. What u think

We have some great write ups a tutorials on the carbs. I think you should try to do it yourself. The 1000 carb rack isn't really that hard to work on if it comes apart. You'll need to be sure the tools fit tightly in the screws and jets. If you plan to spend $300 or more you may want to consider replacing the stock carbs with a single weber two barrel carb. Several have recently and are quite pleased with the result.
Ahh okay carb. (AKA carburetor) issues. As old as these bikes are it's often combined with lower voltage issues and weak spark. All of this will need addressed to get her running best. :laptop:

Ty 4 advice. How can I find other members located near me. Would love to meet someone with experience on my bike to walk me through some of my problems.

Might find someone on the member map. Or we can walk you through it here on the forum. We are familiar with most of the technical terms like thingamajig and doohickey and the whatchamacallit. Posting pics and being our eyes ,ears, and fingers. Together you can fix anything on that bike.

As Carb is leaking I gotta have and feel I need rebuilt. I'm ok working on single cylinder bike- don't really feel comfortable working on these Carbs by myself. Can u reccomend a rebuilder or single
Carb solution 4 my olbike.

Repairing the carbs yourself is not that difficult. Leaking issue could be as simple as a stuck or dirty float needle. Or simply leaving the fuel turned on with a full tank of fuel. If you are considering the single carb conversion. Read through the threads here. Warning there is a lot to read. But it is very interesting.
viewforum.php?f=107
Everyone it seems feels way out of their league before they work on the stock carbs. Once you get into it you start wondering why it was so scary. Here is a great tutorial on the stock carb rebuild.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2127

Welcome! Even though I overhauled everything myself when I got my bike, I sent my carb rack off to Pistol Pete's. Others have done it themselves, but I chose not to mess with this critical piece of the puzzle. I could not be happier with his work - no problems ever....

You can do it yourself, or let Pete do it - I'm just letting you know he does excellent work...

Be well

Welcome to Classics from PA!

The answer to the carbs is basically how deep are your pockets? If you want to save the $, they are easy to work on. If you don't mind dropping $400 - $500, send them off. There is a lot of good info on the web (both here and other websites) for rebuilding them, so if you can find your way through a toolbox, don't be too intimidated.

Welcome from Southern California! The 1000 carbs are not difficult at all to work on if you are patient with them, and pay attention to the small details. If you've ever rebuilt a carburetor, there won't be any surprises with these. Just use quality parts. And - we're here if you need a hand!

Latest posts