High speed wobble

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me add this......by the time I added up my weight plus cargo, I may have exceeded the Honda limits quite a bit (according to the manual) :shock:
:oops:
image.php

This is the manual for the '82 Standard which I have. 60 lbs of cargo??? Ooooops! :oops:

Gerry, It scares me that you are trying to reproduce your high speed wobble. Many years ago I had a violent wreck on a 750 caused by a HSW. I never did find the cause and believe me, I checked everything. This was long before there was forum help so I visited all the local Honda shops and their first suggestion was always overloading in the bags and trunk. (they were empty at the time) That certainly suggests that your wobble could have been caused/exaggerated by the overloading.
I just hope you never see that wobble again. :beg:

BTW....did you read #3? Cargo behind the driver can cause wind turbulence! Hey....Brian was right to suggest dropping my bag down on its side and yes it did cut down some of the turbulence!! (Wish I had read the manual before this!) :whip: :rtfm:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92544#p92544:1hufxbed said:
brianinpa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 am[/url]":1hufxbed]
Gerry what are the tire pressures?

Shoot, I sit on my bike and I just about exceed the weight limits... :mrgreen:
I run them at the limit printed on the tire (seem to think it is 41 PSI).

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92476#p92476:1h3xrvxx said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm[/url]":1h3xrvxx]
Let me add this......by the time I added up my weight plus cargo, I may have exceeded the Honda limits quite a bit (according to the manual) :shock:
image.php

This is the manual for the '82 Standard which I have. 60 lbs of cargo??? Ooooops! :oops:
So.......since this is the '82 standard manual, and the bike had no bags or fairing, do I have to consider that weight as accessory weight to be included with the 490 lbs total? (Now I have to look up an Interstate manual and check the weight allowed. :laptop: )

Thing is.......I don't think the springs in the forks and shocks are different part numbers between the models. So, how did Honda account for the additional weight?

I am a dummy :oops: I should have just gone to the gallery and read the '82 Interstate manual before asking questions or making statements!

image.php

So Honda just reduced the total capacity from 490 lbs to 395 lbs obviously accounting for the Interstate fairing and bags! Answers my question......490 lbs must include my fairing and bags. (That hurts! I may have to have some skinny little kid ride my bike to the meets now to keep the weight under control! :smilie_happy: )

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92555#p92555:3b6o5oxc said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 am[/url]":3b6o5oxc]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92476#p92476:3b6o5oxc said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm[/url]":3b6o5oxc]
image.php

So.......since this is the '82 standard manual, and the bike had no bags or fairing, do I have to consider that weight as accessory weight to be included with the 490 lbs total? (Now I have to look up an Interstate manual and check the weight allowed. :laptop: )

Thing is.......I don't think the springs in the forks and shocks are different part numbers between the models. So, how did Honda account for the additional weight?
Aapple and I checked into the rear springs pretty detailed and found the 83's are more stout.
Makes sense since 83's can run without air, earliers recommend a minimum air pressure.
Forks seem to be same all years but we'd have to verify that.

I did a quick check on my cargo load and it was approximately 105 lbs. My Vetter fairing and Hondaline bags with the rear bumper are running about 108 lbs empty (with the radio and speakers installed). Add my 240 lbs and the total weight is around 453 lbs (under the 490 lb limit! :clapping: ) I have moved my trunk back 2 inches further to make room for the wife and I, my seat is a bit heavier than stock with the extra backrests.

But my distribution of weight really threw that off. The tent was all the way back and high up on the trunk rack (which did not come with these bags, I added it). If you look in the picture, I guess I really did put too much weight past the back axle:

Lesson learned.......get a camper trailer!!! :hihihi:

image.php

Just saw this video about "wobble and weave" and I now have a much better understanding and I am sure now that I was experiencing "weave" on those turns! It is an older video from the UK (and the meat of the information begins after about 5 mins in).

Bottom line, I overloaded the bike per the manual, the manual is clear that riding above 80 MPH is not recommended ( :whistling: ), the load was not balanced over the axles, the weight was too far aft on the trunk, my front tire was worn and the rear tire was new, (apparently a major issue with weave and wobble), I need to go to weight watchers, :whip: ( :hihihi: ), Honda already addressed this issue 30 YEARS AGO! (If I had only read my manual! :ahem: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3W ... BA61088AE2

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107919#p107919:kzgif2qs said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 am[/url]":kzgif2qs]
Bottom line, I overloaded the bike per the manual, the manual is clear that riding above 80 MPH is not recommended ( :whistling: ), the load was not balanced over the axles, the weight was too far aft on the trunk, my front tire was worn and the rear tire was new, (apparently a major issue with weave and wobble), I need to go to weight watchers, :whip: ( :hihihi: ), Honda already addressed this issue 30 YEARS AGO! (If I had only read my manual! :ahem: )

Oops! I guess we broke that recommendation during that trip! :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107924#p107924:33r5o99t said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:59 am[/url]":33r5o99t]
seemed to me this was quite fake looking ... witch tell me that they must be great riders ...sheesh
I agree they are great riders and it could be just for example, but it does mirror what I was feeling in the bike going around those curves....kind of a lift and wobble at the same time that felt like it seemed to be centered around the engine.

well I said that cause im sure they were trying to show the problems with wobble and what to do ... I learned .. lay the crap down ... YES THIS IS THE MORAL TO THE STORY....but I wonder how effective that is on our dressers

I had a conversation with a guy when I was selling old girlfriend about wobble or
what I called a wash out feeling. He told me the pinion and ring can wear allowing the pinion to move slightly with a dramatic feel while cornering. I know I'm not one of the techies here, but believe me, the way he explained it made perfect sense.