How NOT to install a head gasket!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is up with all the permatex? :shock:
I guessing whoever installed the head with all that goop had no clue what a timing mark is.I cant believe he rode it 12,000 miles like that.Probably re-used the old gasket to. :smilie_happy:
Whats rel funny is that the owner aparently doesnt think anything of it.

I could not believe how much Permatex he used!

I just had to download that video to display as an example for the future!

Interesting the side he said was leaking coolant into the crankcase just happens to be the side he worked on then the valve let go.

Hmmm.

Similar thing happened to an old wing of mine. I mistimed it , set up up to the wrong mark . Took out a valve but the damaged bore meant I had to get a new block and piston set. Cost me a fortune but taught me a valuable lesson.

Holy Busted Piston, Batman!!
What a mulroony! I think if I was having trouble simply remembering my phone number, I would prolly shy away from any heavy mechanical werk....even if someone DID tell me that sillycone will fix ANYTHING... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

:shock: I sure hope this guy isn't a CGW member.... :blush:

AApple":2lq8mh7l said:
:shock: I sure hope this guy isn't a CGW member.... :blush:

Well if he is now or is in the future we'll straighten him out. :whip:

Honestly though is using silicone on the head gasket bad?
Granted THAT much is bad because it's easy to see some of the water jacket holes were blocked but since silicone was/is intended to fill empty spaces between the gasket and metal does it's use actually hurt anything or would it's use compromise a seal?

I use it all the time on cover gaskets and replacement for a gasket.

If I do use silicone it is very little,but I dont think I would ever use it on a head gasket.
I have used spray copper on head gaskets,and when I was racing the lawnmowers would use the spray copper instead of a head gasket,but never silicone.

The head gasket makers say not to use any sealer because the gaskets are designed to seal, and the use of a sealer will compromise/defeat the design. The head gaskets are engineered to allow the metals to move around while maintaining a seal. Not all engines are the same, so neither are the gaskets.

I've never used the spray on stuff myself, so can't really comment one way or the other. But I like to follow the instructions whenever possible because if I end up having to do 2 works for 1 money then I at least want to be able to say I did it the way the manufacturer said to do it.

I've seen radiators, heater cores, thermostats, and oil coolers plugged up with stray silicone because if some is good - then more is better. It can get expensive real fast.

Sillycone AND a gasket is just silly. Why use both? :nea: Sillycone is not meant to move once it sets up, and as Ron says, the head gaskets are designed to allow for the expansion of the heads/block interface. Using sillycone in combination with just about any thype of gasket is really asking for a leak, at best, and complete failure in worst case.
We definitely used to use the copper spray on stuff, usually on steel head gaskets. :good:

AApple":2tgcwe9g said:
Sillycone AND a gasket is just silly. Why use both? :nea: Sillycone is not meant to move once it sets up, and as Ron says, the head gaskets are designed to allow for the expansion of the heads/block interface. Using sillycone in combination with just about any thype of gasket is really asking for a leak, at best, and complete failure in worst case.
We definitely used to use the copper spray on stuff, usually on steel head gaskets. :good:

I gotta disagree.

I've used just a gasket on auto cooling systems, stat housings, water pumps etc and had leaks.
Same with cork valve cover gaskets but using silicone they always sealed first time and for 10's of thousands of miles, and the silicone was still flexible years later.

My question about sealant really has to do with using it on a head gasket.
2 of the manuals i have say to use sealant.
Unfortunately neither say what type of sealant but i gotta wonder what they're referring to, that's in my nature.

Modern day head gaskets are one thing but when referring to Honda head gaskets for our bike gotta remember we're talking about head gaskets that could be 30+ years old with manufacture technology just as old.

Talking about installing per manufacture, if the OEM head gaskets are suppose to be installed with some kind of sealant then using it would be per the manufacture, IF the manuals are correct in saying so.

Just sayin :whistling:

I don't know use silicone on head gaskets but I have used it on sode cases that had holes due to thrown chains and have had good luck with it as a matter of facr I have an 88 350 worrier that has had that repair for more than 10 years and it is still holding :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

dan filipi":12umhd0o said:
AApple":12umhd0o said:

I gotta disagree.

I've used just a gasket on auto cooling systems, stat housings, water pumps etc and had leaks.
Same with cork valve cover gaskets but using silicone they always sealed first time and for 10's of thousands of miles, and the silicone was still flexible years later.

My question about sealant really has to do with using it on a head gasket.
2 of the manuals i have say to use sealant.
Unfortunately neither say what type of sealant but i gotta wonder what they're referring to, that's in my nature.

Modern day head gaskets are one thing but when referring to Honda head gaskets for our bike gotta remembecame across the need to use a sealer on a head gasketr we're talking about head gaskets that could be 30+ years old with manufacture technology just as old.

Talking about installing per manufacture, if the OEM head gaskets are suppose to be installed with some kind of sealant then using it would be per the manufacture, IF the manuals are correct in saying so.

Just sayin :whistling:

I do use silicone on thermostat housings and water pumps, etc. But I apply it to the gasket with my finger, and that is just a thin film. As thin as I can make it. I also squirt a dab at the corners of 2 mating surfaces. Like where the valve cover has a hump over the cam shaft. I will use a small dab of silicone at those corners. But if I ever came across the need to add a sealer to a head gasket for some reason, I'd use the spray stuff like you used in your video. Not silicone from a tube as we know it.

There are some automotive oil pans and valve covers, etc. that use silicone instead of a gasket. You call the dealer and ask for a gasket and they deliver a tube of silicone. Because that's what it is. There is a place in the world for silicone. But I have yet to see that place on a head gasket. In fact, if I had an old head gasket that required the use of a sealer because of older technology, I really think I'd "feel" better upgrading to a newer, more modern material. (depending on what's available) Personally, I kinda favor the graphite types, although they are more sensitive to proper clamping forces. (torque and torque sequences and such)

I know an engineer that used RTV blue on the head of a 6-71 Detroit Diesel generator engine even when he was told "NOT TO" and within 20 minutes under a load, the head gasket blew out! :shock: :shock: :swoon:

Latest posts