Idle jet removal?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So....I farted around and left "The Turd" sitting for far too long without starting it...again. I pulled the rack out today to clean the dang carbs up again, but I have run into an insurmountable obstacle. The #3 carb cleaned up nicely, and I was able to blow air thru all of the passages that need to be clear. The #1 carb, on the other hand just sits and laffs at me. I cannot get the idle jet cleared, no matter what I do. I've done the brake cleaner soak, and guitar string, and full air blasts, but...nothin but laughter do I hear. I finally gave up on it for today. I know these idle jets are pressed in, but I also know some of you smart fellers have been able to get them out without destroying them. I've done a search, but found nothing specific....so...I'm begging for ideas. I've still got the #2 & 4 carbs to go, and I'm hoping those will clean up easily as the #3 did. HELP?!?!? :beg: :beg: :beg:

image.php

image.php

When I rebuilt the carbs on the '81 1100, I used a drywall screw. The threads are real far apart and can get a good grip without destroying the jet. I screwed it in pretty tight, dropped some carb chem cleaned in there and wiggled back and forth while pulling up. It takes a bit to get them loose, but it is well worth it!

image.php

:thanks: Gerry. I s'pose they will just tap back in once cleaned? Imma gunna give it another shot today, and see what happens. I'm really trying to do this without having to completely remove the carb(s) from the plenum and soaking... :swoon:

Yes, they tap right back in tight. Once out, it is the only way to clean the passage correctly. I am a firm believer in my ultrasonic machine to get them clean! If you do not have one or access to one, Carb Chem is the next best thing.

Just soaking them in the very volatile carb cleaning fluid is usually enough to break up the deposits plugging the idle Jets. At the very least, it loosens the debris up enough to easily poke it out with the weapon of your choice... a very small weapon.

If they are so gummed up that you can't get a small guitar string through that jet, they really need to come apart for complete cleaning. On the 1000s we can still remount the "garnish" chrome piece that joins adjacent pairs to keep from reconnecting the throttle and choke shafts, but they need to come off the plenum and have every passage checked clear.

I always suggest boiling the carb body. 20 minutes at a time, check and repeat. Had to do it three times on my carbs, but it works.

:party: :clapping: SUCCESS!!! :yahoo:
Got it out using a drywall screw and a large set of dykes/sidecutters. A lil scary at first, but it came out relatively easy.

image.php

Once out, I was able to "drill" the funk out with a guitar string, as well as clean the passages it feeds.

image.php

Once I moved on to the other 2 carbs, I found BOTH of the idle jets also clogged in them, so...rinse/repeat. I went ahead and went back into the #1 carb and pulled that idle jet out too, to clean it, even tho it was the only one of the 4 that was clear to start with. After reassembly of the rack, I installed it on the bike. After connecting the throttle cables( :rant: ), I hooked the fuel line up and turned the petcock on. After aboot 15 seconds, fuel started pouring out all FOUR intakes.... :head bang: Turned the fuel off, and cracked the cap loose, and released mucho pressure. After that, no leakage. Finished the install, leaving all the chrome & other crap(plastic, etc) off until I fired it up to see if it was gunna run. Hooked my jumper box up, turnt the key, switch to "Run", pushed the start button, annnnnnddd.....Sombitch fired up INSTANTLY!! Scared the crap outta me! Was NOT expecting that, and certainly was not expecting it to start AND idle perfectly, running on all 4 cylinders for the first time in a couple of years.. :music:
Ran it long enough for the temp gauge to move off of the blue spot, then shut it down for the day.
Still need to take care of:
1: Front brake locked up...don't know yet if it is one of the calipers, or the master.
2: REAR brake pedal is now gummy, and sticking down. Need a little lube on it.
3: Finish installing the tupperware, and do a deep clean. Damn roosters in the neighborhood have torn the cover to shreds, and been roosting on the damn seat....and crapping on the shelter....gotta get that mess cleaned up. :rant: This will have to wait...I got called back to work tomorrow, so no more fartin around the house for me... :smilie_happy: We took this week off, WITH pay, since there were no cars coming in. Of course, Once I started a major project.... :doh:

Thanks Gerry for the input...I thought that was the way to remove the durn things, but wasn't sure. :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216497#p216497:24zn15xx said:
dan filipi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:08 am[/url]":24zn15xx]
Draining the bowls should stop them from clogging again.

Bowls HAVE been emptied every time I've started it....but that allows the crap to harden. I haven't started the Turd since before Christmas of last year, tho, so I'm sure that played a part in the malfunction. Imma gunna hafta begin a weekly fire-up of it from now on to make sure I don't hafta go thru this again. :fiddle:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216499#p216499:3fxg5hsv said:
AApple » 18 minutes ago[/url]":3fxg5hsv]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216497#p216497:3fxg5hsv said:
dan filipi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:08 am[/url]":3fxg5hsv]
Draining the bowls should stop them from clogging again.

Bowls HAVE been emptied every time I've started it....but that allows the crap to harden. I haven't started the Turd since before Christmas of last year, tho, so I'm sure that played a part in the malfunction. Imma gunna hafta begin a weekly fire-up of it from now on to make sure I don't hafta go thru this again. :fiddle:
That's odd. How can something that isn't there, harden. I run the engine til it dies with gas off. Maybe there's a difference.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216500#p216500:11lqfxka said:
pidjones » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 am[/url]":11lqfxka]
Save that guitar string for unblocking the return port in the master cylinder if necessary. Now that it goes, it needs to whoa!

:good: I actually keep that guitar string on the 1500, since I did have to stop one day due to the master stopping up. :rocks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216497#p216497:11lqfxka said:
dan filipi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:08 am[/url]":11lqfxka]
That's odd. How can something that isn't there, harden. I run the engine til it dies with gas off. Maybe there's a difference.

That's what I been doin!! :head bang:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216504#p216504:31th5mh8 said:
julimike54 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 am[/url]":31th5mh8]
Do you use any fuel preservative?

Just the alcohol that's in the fuel when I get it at the pump.... :hihihi: Actually, I did pour some Seafoam in the tank not too long ago before running it for 20 minutes or so.

Draining the fuel from the bowls does not remove ALL of the fuel from the rest of the carb circuits. Fuel will still be in the circuits, and that is what is turning to doo-doo. Add in the crappy ass fuel we have these days, with the ethanol content, and you have a perfect scenario for corrosion. I'll just leave the fuel in the carbs, and fire the b :sensored: ch up every week form here on in.

Interesting ....seems like it needs retarded put on plant ..the biggest thing about paint that's not talked about much is humidity in the. Air
.no finish works well in all air conditions ...seems like the finish was curing to quickly on top but below not ...ive never finished much on metal but wood tons of time in it...maybe a bit of smart hands buffing before clear coat would do wonders

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216509#p216509:2w6f8gso said:
joedrum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm[/url]":2w6f8gso]
Interesting ....seems like it needs retarded put on plant ..the biggest thing about paint that's not talked about much is humidity in the. Air
.no finish works well in all air conditions ...seems like the finish was curing to quickly on top but below not ...ive never finished much on metal but wood tons of time in it...maybe a bit of smart hands buffing before clear coat would do wonders
Joe, I think you posted in the wrong thread? :hihihi:

Latest posts