ign timing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this may not be a new subject but a follow-up on an old subject. here goes. took my wing out today for a test run getting ready for toy run season and could not get it past 65 mph it is not the gas (have fresh tank full and seafoam and new plugs) i think maybe timing. got the book and it shows how to do it with strobe and without strobe, however it mostly deals with points and i have dynaIII electronic ign. is it done the same why or a special way. any info would be apprecatied. :beg:

I know there is a procedure to show exactly where to set dyna pickups but I don't know it. I would try advancing the plate myself.

im not real sure on the dynalll ....i do on dynaS though and it sets easier than points do....to me anyway....i dont know what to say about dyna lll on oldwings

what slab said would be my first try.... :mrgreen:

When I tried out the early 1000 cams in my 1100 I tweaked the timing like I did on old V8's, bump it alittle and go for a ride. If it pinged, go back a bit and test ride.
I was always looking for the most advance I could get out of it with no ping and no fire back against the starter when cranking.
Finding that happy medium is the way I do things.