ignition system fixed, now have starting problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
took the wing out today for test run. runs great after new coils. however the bike startes as soon as the key is turned on. no need to use starter button, so it keeps trying to start engine while running. i believe the problem is done by the solenoid. will check tomorrow. any suggestions would as usual be helpful.

(re-titled thread-AApple)

seems to me you got a little demon running around in your bike you chased it out of the ignition and now its inthe starter system :evil: thats what they look like and somtimes like this :mischief: just have to get in there whip up on it :whip: :rant: :mrgreen:

Or could be a crossed connection from installing the new coils and/or the Dyna S.

(Should be S for the GL1000, right? not the Dyna III?)

I am in the camp of starter button for the most part... but solenoid is a possibility also.. pull the four wire connector off and use a ohm meter and check side by side wires... one runs the power to the bike and the other runs the start side of the solenoid.. iirc the wires next to the locking tab are the start pair.. it runs through the button to the solenoid relay.. if these wires have 0 resistance then the switch is stuck/bad.. the other set will have low resistance when the key is on..

Several years ago the starter button mechanism fell apart on my 1000. The little bits inside crumbled and made the starter stay on.

thanks for all the info. checked the starter button it looks and feel ok, went ahead and ran some electrical cleaner thru it. pulled small wires on solenoid and would not start. gone ahead and ordered a new solenoid as this one has been on the bike for at least 6 yrs and it was a universal one. with new coils i'm going ahead and change the solenoid. will let everyone know how it goes as soon as it gets here.

Both of the small wires at the solenoid should be dead (no power) with ignition on. One is ground the other is power from the start button. The power wire should be energized only when the start button is pushed. So if either solenoid wire is energized with the ignition on the start button may be shorted or the wire itself may be shorted to another power source. I hope you find the problem an easy fix.

rock42":r09uge3o said:
pulled small wires on solenoid and would not start.

So if the solenoid was stuck ON with the wires connected but OFF with the wires disconnected the solenoid is not the problem.

I put a solenoid on my 81 that was for a Ford F-150...I read that somewhere and it works well.. :Egyptian:

check one small wire with ign on my test light did not come on, however the other came on when i turned on the ign switch, when i pushed the starter button the light dimed. so does that tell me that it maybe the button and not the solenoid?

check one small wire with ign on my test light did not come on, however the other came on when i turned on the ign switch, when i pushed the starter button the light dimed. so does that tell me that it maybe the button and not the solenoid?

That is exactly what it means. Either the start button is not releasing or is shorted or the wiring at the start button is shorted.

ok i'm back, i took the kill/starter switch apart and i looks like the plastic inside the switch is broken. i would assume that i need a new starter switch. i went to bike bandit and they have oem for 105 dollars, ebay one from a 79 wing for 55 dollars. would the one from the 79 work and how much trouble is it to change out? and not sure about the throttle cables.

Latest posts