ignition system fixed, now have starting problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
either way theres no way id pay for that with those prices ...not in my world thats redicules :shock: :shock: :rant: :rant: :cheeky: if i was a seller i wouldnt even offer such a rip off :ahem:

slabghost":ktzidnre said:
check one small wire with ign on my test light did not come on, however the other came on when i turned on the ign switch, when i pushed the starter button the light dimed. so does that tell me that it maybe the button and not the solenoid?

That is exactly what it means. Either the start button is not releasing or is shorted or the wiring at the start button is shorted.
If you can spare the time send me the pieces and I'll give a shot fixing it. Or you could just take the wires and wire them into an aftermarket button in a custom location. Either way it's a lot less money.

mcgovern61":2nzt3s35 said:
Momentary toggle switch works great as an alternative. (Just like my old '68 Dodge Dart with the failed key switch!)

That's pretty much what I did when my button failed. I wired up a 3 position switch, On-Off-On style. The middle is everything off. Flip the switch to the left and my starter runs. Flip the switch to the right and my headlight comes on. The whole thing is zip tied to the handlebars. I carry an extra switch, just in case (being exposed to the weather and all it will fail eventually). Later, I purchased a very small push button switch from Radio Shack and also wired that into the starter circuit and positioned it where the old button was.

You'll have to make sure your headlight works somehow. My method is above.

New hand controls are way too rich for my blood.

It's ugly, but it works.

Attachments

• 2011-04-16_08-37-36_711.jpg
    2011-04-16_08-37-36_711.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 122
If you got it to work using a toggle switch that's fantasic, as long as it works..Great idea.. :Egyptian:

aftermarket horn button from Pep Boys, AutoZone or what have you.
Any kind of momentary push button mounted in any spot you want (a secret location known only to you to keep someone from riding off with your bike)

have a spare parts bike (actually two) one has a good switch. the screws on the botton have stripped heads and not enough room to fit vise grips, however will try again with a sears take out gismo for my drill and see if that will take out the screws.

Use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut slots in the screwheads and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them. :yes:

great idea, only problem the bikes are in a storage facility that has no power to run a dremel and i don't have a battery powered one. am still trying to come up with a idea to get the screws out, also never dealed with throttle cables before not to sure how to get them out and off the handlebars.

My procedure has been to remove the screws from the switch housing and move the cables so as to get as much slack as possible. Then slide the whole assembly off the handle bar. Then there should be enough slack to remove them from the throttle sleeve.

ok this is my final update on my start switch. went to parts bike pulled bottom half, the switch was broken inside, however we replaced it with a switch found in a friends garage. will resolder and replace old switch with new. so now problem is solved. i want take this time to thank all those that have helped me in installing my new coils and with the starter switch, could not have done it without ya'll.

rock42":1k6wq3pn said:
ok this is my final update on my start switch. went to parts bike pulled bottom half, the switch was broken inside, however we replaced it with a switch found in a friends garage. will resolder and replace old switch with new. so now problem is solved. i want take this time to thank all those that have helped me in installing my new coils and with the starter switch, could not have done it without ya'll.
Good onya Rock! Two of my favorite words!

one more thing, i noticed that the cables for my throttle are routed wrong and would like to route them between the front forks, need the simplest and fastest (if possible) to get them off and reroute them and at the same time reinstall my starter button. any help would be welcomed.

Latest posts