Ignorant about accessories and trailer wiring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saganaga

Reaction score
Got a GL1100 which had towed a trailer at one time, and had various accessories hooked up to it.

I understand the basics of wiring, and even know a bit about Honda's ubiquitous wiring sheath color codes, but I'm ignorant about connecting to accessories in an easily reversible manner. What I'm trying to accomplish is to be able to bolt on luggage or a fairing and then plug in one connector. Or unbolt the same and unplug one connector, which can either be tucked behind some protective element or have a weatherproof cap when not in use. I was planning to use a SAE connector (like a two pin used for battery tenders or a four pin used for trailers). But is there a better way?

Speaking of trailers, what is the standard trailer connector and how is it wired? I'm cleaning up some wiring and I'd like to add a trailer connector for future use. Internet searching has not been helpful.

Think I found the answer to the trailer lighting. Hopefully this helps anyone else that's searching.

Assume the trailer has a signal on each side - a standard 1157 bulb with two filaments. One filament is used for the running lights, the other is used for turn signals and brake. The brake light and turn signals are not separate.

Wiring a motorcycle appears to be the same as wiring for a car - you use a standard four pin flat connector. But since motorcycles have separate stop and turn signals, you need a converter to convert the five wires (running lights, brake light, left turn signal, right turn signal, ground) to four (running lights, left stop/turn light, right stop/turn light, ground). The adapter seems to run around $15 or so online.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210001#p210001:1zwoydc4 said:
saganaga » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 pm[/url]":1zwoydc4]
Think I found the answer to the trailer lighting. Hopefully this helps anyone else that's searching.

Assume the trailer has a signal on each side - a standard 1157 bulb with two filaments. One filament is used for the running lights, the other is used for turn signals and brake. The brake light and turn signals are not separate.

Wiring a motorcycle appears to be the same as wiring for a car - you use a standard four pin flat connector. But since motorcycles have separate stop and turn signals, you need a converter to convert the five wires (running lights, brake light, left turn signal, right turn signal, ground) to four (running lights, left stop/turn light, right stop/turn light, ground). The adapter seems to run around $15 or so online.

Converters are the easiest solution.

You can also use a 5 wire harness (available at farm supply stores) to run tail, left & right turn, brake, and a ground circuit.

Let me suggest a device NOT to be used in wiring : Scotchloks! The "herpes of the electrical world" is what Lewis Preston of The Electrical Connection calls them. Liquid electrical tape is a good product to seal out the weather once connections are properly made.

I agree 100%. The two things Scotchlocks are good for is the bottom line of repair shops and revenue enhancement for townships when (not if) your lights quit working.

Dave / Believer45

Something like this looks promising for a waterproof quick connection. Too bad it only appears to be waterproof if it is connected, but I suppose that can be worked around.

I use a trailer converter from "Kurt" a 5 to 4 converter. Piece of cake! Just followed the instructions, but I did use bullet connectors from vintage connections to splice into my wiring harness so I can move it from bike to bike. Plug and play with colored wires to show which goes where.
On the matter of fairing swaps...have you seen how vetter did it with a 9?pin plug? I'm using 6pin plugs from the trailer wiring section of the local tractor supply, works pretty good. The only one unprotected is back in the garage unplugged.

Latest posts