Iner workings of the forks GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests this not a tutorial but it does concern the inner workings of the front fork particularly on the GL1000 and probably other variants. As we all know and apreciate the general lack of spare parts from Mr Honda. Now this is a doozy as our American brothers say.

After tearing down the bike and slowly building it again I am coming across some points that should be renewed as a matter of course in our old bikes. In the forks at the bottom is a piston this shaft doesn't move it is bolted to the fork shroud by the recessed bolt at the bottom of the shroud. Now there is a seal at the top of this "piston" the Honda Part number is
product number : 51437371003 if we look at a exploded diagram it is Number 7 at the top of part number 8 on that diagram. Can be seen at this website address. Thanks to them at partzilla.

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Now the description says "rubber" only mine is quite hard and is not rubber. Has anyone replaced one or two of these as there are two one each side. Does anyone know if an alternative part exists?

Thank for looking Ian :thanks:

V, that is exactly what I thought, but I took one out of the fork leg I have striped out and it is either gone hard? or is more like a hard plastic. see below.

shock piston 1.jpg

shock piston2.jpg

Think I might take another pair apart to see what is going on there. This is some sort of seal but as this is it isn't going to seal anything.
Cheers guys

Not certain but I think that is hard plastic or nylon. Probably better described as a wiper than a piston ring or a seal. It looks from the diagram that it's purpose is to slow movement in either direction if I'm looking at it right.

Well I have opened up another leg I have and cleaned it a "bit", :smilie_happy: bit it has the same type of seal, I think your right that it is a wiper and not a seal. see bellow.

shock piston seal 3.jpg

so panic over, as these bits are no longer available it might be a good idea to be especially gentle with these bits if you get done to doing what I have done here. :thanks:

I think those are available just not the ones specific to those forks. But those rings are still used in various machines. Pneumatic cylinders I think use similar seals.

So the one I have off is 29mm dia (outer), 24.77mm dia (inner), height is 3.24mm and 1.8mm thick but I have just discoverd that my vernier is not reading 100% right but it won't be much out, this ring is a lose fit in all dimensions.

V so took a quick look that looks like the right place to get a replacement. Thanks.

Just out of interest here in the UK it is a blood moon tonight with an eclipse of the moon and it is at its nearest point to the earth, this wont happen again for maybe 2033. I could well be dead by then. So I will be up late tonight to take some photos. So I will be up for another 8 to 9 hours at least.

Latest posts