Is it time for a battery ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Been having this problem off and on now for a month now, put AGM battery in my 82 1100 Asspy about 3-4 yrs ago, and now she'll just roll over one time when you hit the starter, turn the key off and hit the starter again and she spins right over no problem. She seems to do this after she has been running for awhile and you shut her down, as a matter a fact she did it to me tonite while on an 80 mile trip, after she grunted I did the key off then back on and she rolled right over no problem, tried it again 5 more times and she fire right up no problem. Now I put my hand held volt meter on the battery and had 12.4-12.6 on my meter, when I hit the starter the meter dropped to 9.5 or 10.5, would that be a sign of a bad battery ??

Thanks in advance Winger 82

At 9.5/10.5, did it actually START? If so, I would think the battery is not the real problem, tho in my experience, the AGM batteries will take a dump around 3 years. I would suspect a problem with the starter, starter solenoid, or possibly the ignition switch. I found on my GL1100 that leaving the Start/Stop switch OFF until the engine is cranking helps a LOT. I did eventually have to rebuild the starter, and I think that might have been one of the reasons my batteries just weren't surviving. :yes:

I’m running a six year old odyssey PC680 that’s working fine. I have them in several bikes. But that’s the oldest one.

While it’s certainly possible that yours has given up, before indicting it, I would check connections on both sides.

Odysseys are bad ass batteries

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Battery may be the issue, but I have discovered that when you experience the "slow roll" on the initial crank after hot or sitting that there is a minor hydrolock condition taking place with a carb leak. Not a serious leak, just enough for gas to build up and push back on one cylinder.

Typically, when this condition happens, it sounds like the starter is struggling to get a half turn out of the engine. Turn the key off and try again and the bike starts (Noticed mostly right after a ride and the engine is hot).

It is overcome with a new battery for sure. But you might want to check your carbs.

Eliminate the battery as an issue, take it to the local battery shop for a load test. The starter could be a culprit - starter cleaning would be a good maintenance item - lots of carbon dust build up inside the starter preventing it from operating properly.

Thanks for the replies guys :hi: :hi: :hi: when I bought this AGM battery I really didn't see any real difference in the starting performance of my bike, but live and learn. Going to try to find an Interstate distributor in my area and go from there.
Winger 82 :hi: :hi: :hi: will give those connections a look see before though

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219392#p219392:1ufl2pi3 said:
desertrefugee » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:09 pm[/url]":1ufl2pi3]
I’m running a six year old odyssey PC680 that’s working fine. I have them in several bikes. But that’s the oldest one.

While it’s certainly possible that yours has given up, before indicting it, I would check connections on both sides.
i replaced my odyssey pc680 after 10yrs in the wing, now its starting up the old garden tractor. the battery is 12yrs old now

The voltage on cranking is well within parameters. For my money it is a starter bush problem. Batteries don’t heal themselves, the more you crank them the more the voltage drops away and usually fails ( won’t crank over)