Is this an interstate, or an aspencade?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a parts bike that came in boxes with a roller frame, it's an '82 but I'm not sure if it's an interstate or an aspencade. It has vented rotors and linked brakes...does that make it an aspencade?

My '83 aspencade was/is the first year for the digital dashboard (I think). But this '82 has analog gauges, vented rotors, and linked brakes. My '83 standard had plain rotors and unlinked brakes (banjo fitting on rear master cylinder) my '83 interstate has analog gauges, plain rotors with linked brakes. One other detail...I think '83 was the first year for the on-board compressor attached to the air suspension system, because this '82 IS an Aspencade without the compressor installed. The on-board compressor is so nice, I might add one to my interstate for ease of use.

83 was the first year with linked brakes and digital dash on the Aspencade. No 82s had either of those but the 82 Aspy had an onboard compressor in the false tank (PITA) the 83 had the compressor in the fairing.

Dear Dave0430, maybe you and I are in different market segments. This ‘82 (2/82 build date) is labeled as an Aspencade, with linked brakes & vented rotors, but no compressor. It also has analog gauges and self cancelling turn signals. I could take pics to show the evidence…

Right you are! Now I need to go search through the boxes, I want that compressor for my ‘83 interstate (naked). I hope it’s in the boxes…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Alas, there are no air suspension parts in the boxes that came with it. As you can see, the op was intending to make a single inboard shock system for this bike. I don't think that's in my plans, but I might take a stab at the single carb setup that was included.

Dear Dave0430, maybe you and I are in different market segments. This ‘82 (2/82 build date) is labeled as an Aspencade, with linked brakes & vented rotors, but no compressor. It also has analog gauges and self cancelling turn signals. I could take pics to show the evidence…
Doesn't matter where you live an 82 did not have linked brakes, 82 aspys did have vented rotors and they do have analog gauges and self cancelling turn signals, all 82s had those and they did have a compressor, yours may have been removed. If it has linked brakes someone took that off an 83.

Alas, there are no air suspension parts in the boxes that came with it. As you can see, the op was intending to make a single inboard shock system for this bike. I don't think that's in my plans, but I might take a stab at the single carb setup that was included.
Tell how did the single carb work out

Ok I've just been having trouble with my carbs on a 1987 goldwing trike and was thinking about converting it over

My 82 Asspy had a Digital read out on the radio/CB/clock/ and ambient temp gauge, speedo and tac and temp gauge for the motor were good ole analog, has an on board compressor, didn't have slotted rotors but does now on the rear. No linked brakes unless your considering the dual disk's on the front as linked.

I dont understand the conversion to single carb logic. I cant imagine it would ever run as smooth as a well tuned stock setup. I mean you can dial in each cylinder individually. I get the temptation of avoiding the complication and effort of adjusting 4 carbs but you should only need to do that once.
Different topic - If I am reading this correctly the 82 aspencade came with an on board compressor but my interstate doesn't have one. Would that asspy compressor bolt into the interstate?

Many of the old V8's, had one carb, & ran great.
Symplicity is the key to good design.
Was a small sign, on my first shop teachers desk.

Latest posts