Just a question -

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Alright - I’m about ready to toss in the towel and let this 85 Interstate I have go to someone else! I still can’t get the old girl to fire over at all, but I had a quick thought and wanted to see if any of y’all agree or disagree. It’s gonna be a long one so TYIA if someone reads my book and responds ha!

Everything electrical has been replaced, all the connections have been cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and have the dielectric grease on them, I have spark so that eliminates the kill switch from being an issue -

I have good ground contact at both the frame and the starter, even added a secondary ground wire from the back of the starter where the lower bolt screws in with a 10g wire and ran it up to the frame ground just to be safe; so my grounds are covered. The starter does spin the bike over though not super fast and is also brand new though I have a rebuild kit for it should I need it since it came from fleabay

Yes my fuel selector is turned on and has flow to the pump so I’m pretty confident that’s working plus I can smell gas when I crank it over.

My timing marks before I cranked it over were all correctly lined up. I had the T1 mark centered where it needed to be and lined up the pulleys according to the timing marks which I might go redo just because I want to make sure I’m right. So here’s the first part of my book.

Timing off the pulley’s needs to be where the marks are, I get that. Once those marks are lined up put the belts on and that’s that from what I understand. The T1 mark ALSO needs to be lined up while I’m redoing the belts though correct? It should be centered within the marks on the case...I’m sure that’s how I “timed” this old girl maybe I did it wrong?

Where it sits now the marks aren’t even in the right spot obviously since I turned it over a few times.

My only other idea is the exhaust system - Do these bikes need to have the exhaust system hooked up to fire? I have the entire system off and in theory back pressure from the system MIGHT be a problem since it’s obvious not connected...

At this point the LAST thing I need to do is a compression check but I can’t find the gauge to do it for one, secondly i NEED wheels - my Charger took a shit on me last night and the transmission is toast so I’m without wheels and that’s not good with work come Monday
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok ...for what ever reason there marks on the cam pulleys that are not the ones that should be used ..it could be you used the wrong marks when timing it ...don’t ask me why Honda put those marks there ...makes no sense at all ..there pics here somewhere that shows the proper marks ..I would check this Nate ...I id post the pics but my fingers can barely post ..maybe someone else will post the pics we have ...hang tough Nate

joedrum":3d3f3j7q said:
Ok ...for what ever reason there marks on the cam pulleys that are not the ones that should be used ..it could be you used the wrong marks when timing it ...don’t ask me why Honda put those marks there ...makes no sense at all ..there pics here somewhere that shows the proper marks ..I would check this Nate ...I id post the pics but my fingers can barely post ..maybe someone else will post the pics we have ...hang tough Nate

I used the blue marks which were on the pulley’s, lined up almost dead with the marks inside the case, also showed the UP mark on each pulley at 12 o clock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts