Just received 1986 GL1200 sits too high

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
Finally after a week delay due to weather the truck dropped off my non-running GL1200 project. I got on it to check the ergonomics and my toes barely touched down, big surprise to me. I'm 5 foot 11 inch but pushing 60 years so getting on wasn't easy either. The battery is kaput so there was no power to the air suspension to try dropping but everything I read before posting indicates the ride is really harsh when dropped by air. The seat appears stock and thick but not very soft so maybe there's room to cut out foam and reupholster. If I need to swap out shocks any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_164818_01.jpg
    IMG_20221012_164818_01.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 3
Thinking about slamming it, ditching the trunk, and shaving the stock seat down to the pan with a jell insert.
Edit: I like this. I'm no longer married and my daughter is living far away so not anticipating two-up touring but still want the wind protection and such.

Attachments

• IMG_20150507_150502.jpg
    IMG_20150507_150502.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had the seat cut way down and put some vulcan shocks on it.she rides a bit rough but at least i can touch the ground

Last edited:
I had the seat cut way down and put some vulcan shocks on it.she rides a bit rough but at least i can touch the ground
Thanks for the tips. I came to discover the seat was custom modified larger by previous owner who must have been at least 6 foot 5. The highway pegs are waay out there

What about putting in CB1000C shocks to retain the air suspension?

The best solution is to have the seat modified for the rider. There is a lot of foam in the seat that can be removed and/or sculpted.

The CB1000C is some 200 or so pounds lighter than the '85 Gold Wing. Would expect the suspension to be fairly light compared to the '85 Gold Wing.

The weight difference between the non-FI models and the earlier Gold Wings is significant as well regarding the rear suspension. The air shock springs on the FI models are more substantial then the carb models and earlier years. Have read threads/posts where non-FI model shocks were used, even after being rebuilt, and the results were less than satisfactory.

My son-in-law rides a 2014 Moto Guzzi Calfornia touring bike. He has a short inseam and was always on tip toes, or leaning the bike when stopped. Had the seat modified at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA. Took the seat foam out completely, and used a gel pad instead. He was able to flat foot the bike afterwards, and when on a trip/tour, had no comfort issues.

Just a few thoughts.

Took the seat foam out completely, and used a gel pad instead. He was able to flat foot the bike afterwards, and when on a trip/tour, had no comfort issues.
Thanks for that, kept me from wasting money on old shocks.

Does anyone know if a GL1100 seat fits the 1200? I went to the upholstery shop, got a quote for $500 not going to do that. Two years ago recovering and reshaping the seat on my Kawasaki ZG1000 cost $200.
Also any comments on the Saddlemen seat and cushion kit?
Screenshot_2023-02-21-11-56-04-256.jpg

The best solution is to have the seat modified for the rider. There is a lot of foam in the seat that can be removed and/or sculpted.

The CB1000C is some 200 or so pounds lighter than the '85 Gold Wing. Would expect the suspension to be fairly light compared to the '85 Gold Wing.

The weight difference between the non-FI models and the earlier Gold Wings is significant as well regarding the rear suspension. The air shock springs on the FI models are more substantial then the carb models and earlier years. Have read threads/posts where non-FI model shocks were used, even after being rebuilt, and the results were less than satisfactory.

My son-in-law rides a 2014 Moto Guzzi Calfornia touring bike. He has a short inseam and was always on tip toes, or leaning the bike when stopped. Had the seat modified at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA. Took the seat foam out completely, and used a gel pad instead. He was able to flat foot the bike afterwards, and when on a trip/tour, had no comfort issues.

Just a few thoughts.
how thick was the gel pad and do you remember the source? thnks

Gel pad for the son-in-law's bike was 3/4 inch provided by Rich's Custom Seats in WA. Don't know the supplier. You should be able to get a gel pad on Amazon. You can take an easy 2 inches of foam from the rider position.
thanks for that. i actually tried a cheap gel pad before, it sukked. i have operated on my seat enough times that i have went through several replacement foams, 2 bases, about a thousand screws, and it still hurts! i am happy to see that someone has had luck with a mod. i will try and contact Richs in a few days. *taking any height away from stock is murder on the knees and hips. adding a couple inches is productive, but affects handling .......a lot!
thanks

I've been looking for a low height seat and this one is advertised as a GL1200 unit but the mounting brackets appears different. I'll hate to find out later it doesn't fit.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Found a seat and a trunk backrest on ebay. The backrest was recently covered, the seat stored for some time and was filthy. Two scrubbings with Sprayway glass foam then a wipe down with 91% isopropyl alcohol, a rinse & dry in the sun (hair dryer on the seams), finally two coats of Dupli-Color Vinyl Black and it looks good and fits great!
Honda GL 1200 Seat ebay.jpg
Honda GL 1200 Seat cleaned.jpg
IMG_20230313_122811.jpg