Keyboard handlebar cover ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julimike54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1200AS
I just replaced the "Keyboard" and after taking the old one out (severely cracked and broken) and installing the new one. The question is under this cover is a metal wire stay with 2 small metal tangs that engage the new cover. Anyone know if the cover fits under the metal tangs or does the cover sit on top of the metal tangs? I attempted to put the cover under the tangs but it seems to be stressed in that position, might be why the cover cracked up on the removed one. Without stressing the cover it appears to rest on top of the tangs and the cover is not loose, I'm wondering if some where down the line the old one was forced under the tangs and why it subsequently cracked up. The other thing I found was the collars for the screws were missing and that helped lead to cracking of the cover.

I'm not familiar with Interstates, do they use the keyboard? I presume all the Aspencades do and would appreciate y'all looking to see if you can see the metal tangs on the outside of the cover or not.

Keyboard is Honda name :)

Keyboard.jpg

It's a little fuzzy, sorry.

Ok...I dint notice you're dealing with a 1200! 🤪 For some reason, I thought it was a 1500....don't mind me....I'm an idjit....🤣

Here's what I have on a stock '86 GL1200i with no radio or any other electronics.

Attachments

• keyboard1.jpg
    keyboard1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • keyboard2.jpg
    keyboard2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
im gonna send yu a PM. you email me and remind me. i will look , send pics. whatever to help a brother out. mine works......so far. lol/
Merry Christmas.

dont know about etal tangs. but here are the pics i said i would send. my pm to you was to tell you to remind me to get pics today. but i actually remembered!
20221216_140948.jpg

Attachments

• 20221216_140929.jpg
    20221216_140929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221216_140912.jpg
    20221216_140912.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221216_140908.jpg
    20221216_140908.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The metal tangs are on the wire stay that's bolted on in front of the handle bar. They either are supposed to hold up the cover (opposite side of cover attachment screws) or they hold over the cover. I don't think they are supposed to hold over, I found mine was that way and the cover was cracked from that stress, I think. I've installed the cover with the screws and it seems the tangs just support the opposite side from the bottom.

The red line in the picture shows the area where the tangs are located...
Keyboard_w_paint.jpg

are you referring to the u shaped spring steel loops that bolt to the top tree? if so, mine are under the trip meter cover. about a half inch below the cover, actually. they support the brake and clutch hoses. that is the only stay there except the wire stay inside the trip cover i sent in photos. maybe a year model differene, mine is 1984 gl1200A

Latest posts