LED headlight

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the head light.

This one on eBay is cheap and looks nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3933078780...rentrq:99ce6b7d1790a77d14190413fff664e4|iid:1

However it says 150W!

Specifications:
LED Power: 150W(13pcs*11.5W Cree LED+20WDRL)
Operating Voltage: DC12V
Color Temperature: 6000k - 6500K
Working Life: 50,000+ Hours
Beam: High-Low beam+DRL
Waterproof Rate: IP68
Material: Die-cast aluminum housing, clear hardcoated PC lens
Size: 180mm x 180mm x 82mm / 7.09" x 7.09" x 3.23"

Does it really draw that much or is it just H4 halogen equivalent value?
I thought one of LED advantages is using less power.
I asked the seller but so far no reply.

Does any body have experience with one of these?

One thing that I'd point out with any headlight replacement is that it always needs to be aimed. It's easy enough to do, and it's an important safety feature.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222859#p222859:jf1203fr said:
saganaga » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm[/url]":jf1203fr]
One thing that I'd point out with any headlight replacement is that it always needs to be aimed. It's easy enough to do, and it's an important safety feature.

Well, I don't ride at night so no need. LOL
If I end up riding at night, I will do it on the spot.

Any problems with fit or electrical hooking up of this light?

Be aware of the wiring to the headlight. Factory H4 were drawing about 55-60watts at 85watts your about 40% over expected. I run an H4 replacement in both my BMW R100RT and GL1200A but they only draw 25watts, i.e. half expected and yet put out higher lumen at about 2500 than the old H4s.

Be aware of the wiring to the headlight. Factory H4 were drawing about 55-60watts at 85watts your about 40% over expected. I run an H4 replacement in both my BMW R100RT and GL1200A but they only draw 25watts, i.e. half expected and yet put out higher lumen at about 2500 than the old H4s.

That was my original question which no one answered. LOL
Modern LED lights probably boast its brightness by showing halogen equivalent wattage, meaning 85W LED doesn't really draw 85W.
I was lazy so I didn't measure the current on this "85W" LED either. LOL
Besides, I have a relay.

That was my original question which no one answered. LOL
Modern LED lights probably boast its brightness by showing halogen equivalent wattage, meaning 85W LED doesn't really draw 85W.
I was lazy so I didn't measure the current on this "85W" LED either. LOL
Besides, I have a relay.
In my experience the packaging should say something like "11W equivalent to 55W standard Halogen H4". The link you have posted says "Wattage: 85W/PCS 170W/PAIR" and the picture shows 13 LEDs. So 85W/13 =6.5W which would be a low power LED. And the ad doesn't even specs for the LEDs. Just Creep Chinese Crap. But if you look at the CREE specs IIRC they start at about 10W for a single LED chip.
I wouldn't put those Feebay lights on my bike with an actual current measurement. And even with it, at least carry a small CO2 fire extinguisher is always a good insurance policy. I had the unpleasant opportunity to use one just a few days ago on my R100RT when something shorted in the ignition circuits and fried the light weight wires to the kill switch and overheated the wire to the coil. And made a mess of the Headlight bucket wires. Coils measure good so I have not figured out the cause yet. But having a Fire Extinguisher handy kept a potential total loss to just a headache of tracking down toasty wires in the main harness.
OC

In my experience the packaging should say something like "11W equivalent to 55W standard Halogen H4". The link you have posted says "Wattage: 85W/PCS 170W/PAIR" and the picture shows 13 LEDs. So 85W/13 =6.5W which would be a low power LED. And the ad doesn't even specs for the LEDs. Just Creep Chinese Crap. But if you look at the CREE specs IIRC they start at about 10W for a single LED chip.
I wouldn't put those Feebay lights on my bike with an actual current measurement. And even with it, at least carry a small CO2 fire extinguisher is always a good insurance policy. I had the unpleasant opportunity to use one just a few days ago on my R100RT when something shorted in the ignition circuits and fried the light weight wires to the kill switch and overheated the wire to the coil. And made a mess of the Headlight bucket wires. Coils measure good so I have not figured out the cause yet. But having a Fire Extinguisher handy kept a potential total loss to just a headache of tracking down toasty wires in the main harness.
OC
Right. They don't say anything about the current draw. Hence my question. But they are dirt cheap. LOL
Never thought of a fire extinguisher but if it's small enough, yeah why not.