light knocking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a '79 wing with 42k, i have been riding for about 3 months. at around 3000rpm i hear a light knocking noise after it has warmed up. i am afraid to ride it any distance for fear its a rod bearing and visions of a rod busting through the case, throwing oil all over the back tire and me and the bike sliding over a 1000 ft cliff. i am almost ready to buy a bmw :swoon:

i have been able to reduce the noise and delay it to about 3800rpm by retarding the timing about 15 degrees from stock but it runs poorly as you might expect. i'm running a dyna s ignition, synced the carbs, new timing belts, and the compression is 150lbs across the 4 cyl. i don't want to open it up because it seems main/rod bearings are nearly nonexistant. thought about a good used engine but very few gl1000 engines left and not sure if the 1100 would be an easy swap. any advice?
thanks

hmmm...the dang thing will probably knock a long time....as far as motor transplant a lot of things work ...i do stuff like this all the time...i have a 1200 going in my 79....i also have he 1000 that came out of it its a real tight motor thats never had any major issues....1100s if put in 1000 bikes make a rather low geared drag bike...83 1100 with there overdrive make for a nice geared bike ...1200s involve quite a bit of work to make them work ...but there are options out there and there are good 1000 motors out there....

i have my doubts about ignition related issues, especially with 15 degree retarded from stock timing and running good quality premium fuel. i have considered the fact that i had the head on one side machined due to an overheating issue that caused a blown head gasket. i put it back together using what i assumed was a stock aftermarket gasket. was wondering if putting in a thicker one(cometic makes a .006" thicker than their stock)would make any difference. it sounds like its coming from the middle of the engine and not from a particular side, but sound does travel in unique ways inside motors.

normally a rod knock can be induced/exaggerated by putting the front tire up against the wall and putting the bike in gear, inducing a heavy load. that does not create the knock as a worn rod bearing normally would.

with my anal retentive and compulsive/obsessive tendencies, its driving me crazy; not even louder exhaust, full face helmet, or cranking up the volume on my mp3 player are viable solutions :smilie_happy:

The knock can be any number of things and unless your mileage is incorrect, it is unusual for the bearings to wipe with that low mileage unless the oil has not been changed often enough.

Here are two threads that will give you a good idea on knocks in Goldwings:

viewtopic.php?p=56923#p56923

viewtopic.php?p=8248#p8248

Also, IF your bike is knocking from other than carb issues, you may be eligible to join the Knockers Club! :hihihi:

Latest posts