Littlebeaver's Experiment [lowers]

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hey fella's, when I owned my Nomad I made lowers for the front to keeps some wind off me, I used lexan and I'd like to show you in a photo...View attachment 4 that has nothing to do with where I'm going here on this post,I'm just showing and telling I can cut this stuff up anyway I wish.... I have sat in front of my bike and thought of a way to get much better air flow to the radiator...One of the problems with the Honda design is the air flow to the radiator....I am about to change that crap...If everything works as planned the engine will cool much faster while rolling....It might take away a mile or two on gas milage due to drag but maybe not..Here are some photo's of my "Wind Guides" Littlebeavers Wind Guides is what I'll call it..1" flat stock fastened horizontally to existing bolts and 1/4" lexan about 4" deep and a 1' tall or so..The wind will go directly into the radiator I grant you that....I still must test ride it on the hottest of days...Here are some photo's...View attachment 3View attachment 2View attachment 1 If this works fella's the way my pea brain thinks it will, that's going to be better on the bikes in the summer months, less fan time, ect. hey just so you guys know, I'm not over heating or anything, just playing again as always.... :smilie_happy: I love experimenting on stuff like this...

:popcorn: It looks like a great idea to me beav. Looks like the front fender will clear the guides and the guides should ram that air right where it needs to be. :clapping: :clapping: :salute:

Just got back from a test run, boy oh boy it dropped that temp way down once I got rolling, this really really works well man.. Now that's what I call custom man ...I'll get better photos once I get outside and wash the bike again... I let her idle for some time until the fan kicked on, then I took it out for a spin, now in the neighborhood it went down just below the halfway point on the gauge, Now once I got out on the highway, that gauge went way down to about 3/8 on the gauge Wow, it's never gone that low before...Wow now I would have to say it works well...

You went a little farther out than I did, but the basic concept does work...it definitely rams more air thru the rad. :good: :clapping: :builder:

Winger 82":qif0oehg said:
Was afraid to look @ this post Littlebeavers Lowers :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:
Heyyyyyyy...Why I .?????... :Egyptian: Oh I get it... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Lowers as in body lower's Silly Rabbit...Nooooooo not that kinda of lowers... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":13n6a9mf said:
Winger 82":13n6a9mf said:
Was afraid to look @ this post Littlebeavers Lowers :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:
Heyyyyyyy...Why I .?????... :Egyptian: Oh I get it... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Lowers as in body lower's Silly Rabbit...Nooooooo not that kinda of lowers... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Winger - thats the first thing I thought as well - :smilie_happy: laughted out loud. :smilie_happy: The other site I go to a guy was complaining about squeeking comming out of his rear end - it was all I could do to not say stay away from the spicy foods - but those guys (good guys) do not have the sence of humour our guys do so I bit my toungue. :rtfm: :rtfm:

was hoping someone would come up with a idea to help air to radiator, i was thing of using wind wings from a gl1000 and make them work on my 86 sei, but like littlebeavers idea, might have to get one of his before it is over.

Joel I promise I never read your post on this, promise sir.. Man, I can't win, first Dan and his oil tube that I never saw and now yours, wow....I'm stunned :doh: ..Mine is somewhat different though, looks nothing like yours.. Did you lay down the brackets sideways or horizontal too to fasten them? Usually if I read a posting I leave a comment, almost always, I would have loved your idea and left a comment for sure had I read it, same with Dan's oil thingy.. :shock: :shock:

No brackets of any kind on mine, Beav...it is all held on by the grill on the sides, and the two studs/nuts on the bottom of the grill.
What you made was really more in line with what I was planning to do, but I dint want to walk all the way out to the barn to get the large sheet of 1/4" plexiglass I have. I used what I had right there in the garage...stuff I have been stumbling over for years. :smilie_happy:
That thing should shovel a ton of air thru the rad...and right onto your legs! :heat:

I have a 1200 interstate, That I have customized in to a bagger of sorts, Is my Wing in some kinda danger of overheating because there are no lowers on it. There is a bates 1970's faring on it but nothing to direct the air into the radiator. I have taken it on a 600 mi trip that way and haven't seen any signs of over heating. The fan kicks on as it should when i stop but perty much stays off when i am moving. but then again if i am moving i am not looking at my fan.

No danger, no danger at all, this is an experiment and it has proven to work well, not only by myself but by Joel as well.... It's been over 100 degree's down here regularly and I will try anything to help my engine stay cooler in this heat...I just like playing around with stuff and experimenting is all..

littlebeaver":2zrkpqqq said:
No danger, no danger at all, this is an experiment and it has proven to work well, not only by myself but by Joel as well....

Then the purpose of these experiments are ?

I understand that under cooler conditions a engine doesn't expand as much and has less tolerance +/-. How would that decrease wear on the internal parts of the engine?

I also understand that at too high of temperatures the water can create pressure that exceeds the amount of volume given to the cooling system and can crack the metal.

The purpose of the experiment is to see just how much lower the temp gauge will go in 100 plus temps.... Or if it will go down at all.. If your engine cools off faster then your fan will kick off sooner.. It's an experiment to see if assisting the fan with extra air from the front side will make the temps not go up so fast in hot conditions or maybe not at all.. Who said anything about wear on internal parts?

littlebeaver":pwjwsejb said:
The purpose of the experiment is to see just how much lower the temp gauge will go in 100 plus temps.... Or if it will go down at all.. If your engine cools off faster then your fan will kick off sooner.. It's an experiment to see if assisting the fan with extra air from the front side will make the temps not go up so fast in hot conditions or maybe not at all..

So you want the fan to kick off sooner. Is that due to power usage making the stator work to hard? Or just because you want to ? Or due to the brushes on the fan motor, less use = less wear ? Trying to figure out what the purpose is to know whether or not i might wanna do the same thing. I am always looking to help my bike as much as possible.