Long time lurker/ first time posting. 82' gl 1100 interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gentleman glad to join this community and its wealth of knowledge and experience. Love to see that so many of these old goldwings are still on the road turning over the miles. Bought a 82' gl1100 Last year as a project bike. Road it all last summer and just started tearing it right down to the frame for a full rebuild/ resto mod. I will try and create a build thread later but here is a quick list of the plan.

Fork tear down. New for tubes springs and emulators
Rear progressive units

Custom top triple clamp/mx t-bars set up with internal wiring.

83 alloy wheel swap.

Diet

Reworked luggage frame

New foot pegs driver/passenger

Custom sight glasses on timing belt cover to show off timing gears.

Shaved valve covers

Fuel pump delete. Electric swap.

C5 ignition.

Delkevic carbon fiber exhaust.

Paint/polish/powdercoat

Strip harness to ignition and charging and swap lighting and controls to an m unit with mini gauge and bar controls.

Rebuild brakes. New front master cylinder

Stock carb/airbox setup rebuilt.

Replace all common points of failure.

Corbin gunfighter saddle.

That's the general idea. To have a nice sport touring built on the gl platform. I'm sure I'll be asking many questions of everyone along the way. All the best!

Welcome to the forum Interstate-traffic, can we call you I. T. ?
That sounds like a nice project plan, ambitious, but surely attainable.
Keep us informed, especially the wheel swap, that would be very interesting. '83 interstate or aspencade wheels with the vented rotors?

The wheel swap I've already done. I pulled everything off the 82 comstar wheel and put it on the 83' alloy wheel. I've read multiple places that the spacers are different but I calipered both and they were the exact same. Used 82 rotors axle spacer and speedo unit. Only thing I had to do was put a small shim on the speedo side to get brakes to line up. Was easy!

Welcome :hi: :hi: :hi: sounds like quite a project , can't wait to see pic's and hear it run :good: :good: :good:

Sounds like the plan is to convert it from an Interstate into a custom naked bike. Sounds fun!

Hello all !

The fairings and bags are going to stay on. I'm a big fan of the police bikes such as kawasaki kz1000p or the harley fxrp and the goal is to build one out in that style. Will get some pics up soon.