Long time rider first time Gold Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
Hello, my name is Bruce and I'm awaiting delivery of my first full dresser. I've been riding and wrenching since the 1980's, started off on a 1976 Honda CB750F in Alaska while in the Army, bought another in California, then a 1981 CB750F, a Yamaha 700 Fazer, a FZR750, and the longest held was a 1984 FJ1100 resleeved to 1314cc with a pipe and jet kit. That was a monster!

In the 90's I worked as a tech at independent shops and a dealership then moved on to vintage formula and sports cars, European imports, and high performance machine shop engine assembler and porting man.

Last year a planned ride from Houston to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 500 mile race on my Kawasaki Concours/GPz 1100 hybrid project fell short because I just didn't have it finished in time :(
IMG_20220302_201322~2.jpg

It runs like a scalded ape now with the 2mm ZX11 overbore, head porting, GPz cams & carbs, etc etc but probably wouldn't be a comfortable ride for 2000 miles so enter this new to me 1986 GL1200 dealership trade-in. It's yet to arrive and can't wait! Carbs are clogged and needs a battery but for $900 I can deal with it.
62f728f93667df3afa7f7b62.jpg

I'm going to search the forum for tips and tricks to make this bike a reliable runner, if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears :)

Man I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas Day to find a bike by the tree🙂
What I have planned, input appreciated:
Fork rebuild & polish
Regrease steering bearings
Clean and apply dielectric grease to handlebar controls
Lube throttle cables
Brake system rebuild (maybe delink)
Wheel inspection, clean, polish, and coat with Spray Max 2K clear
New tires
Carb service
Check fuel tank, pull and coat if rusty
Disassemble, clean, and grease rear suspension
Replace stator with LTD EFI part
Convert to LED lights

Where in TEXAS are you located? How about some pictures of the '75 GL1000 listed in your profile. I'm on Lake Livingston and have a '75 with a single carb. Great bike and great roads in east Texas. Glad to have you join our group.

Later, Bud...
If I listed a '75 I made an error should say '86 and can't find the button to edit my profile but yes I'll sure like to do a ride once I get it here and go through the maintenance list.👍

I wasn't aware the larger EFI stator would fit the non-EFI motor. Would that mean that stator would fit the earlier engines as well or is that specific to the '86?
I'm not sure about admin's policy concerning linking to outside forums so I'll have to summarize in the meantime:
Last night I read a multi-page thread on GL1200 stators that reminded me windings in the stator are always putting out 100% power and the regulator shunts the excess to ground. Since there's no need for the higher output in the non-EFI GL1200 all the larger stator will do is work the voltage regulator harder so I'm leaving whatever is in there alone if the stator passes the ohm test and will install a MOSFET regulator (faster reacting less stress on the windings) and a aftermarket LED voltmeter in eye's view on the fairing dash. When I take my trip I'll carry my lithium jump starter and battery tender just in case there's an emergency on the road. Pulling the engine is something I can do but would rather put off ;)

MOSFET regulator
http://roadstercycle.com/
MOSFET is an acronym of Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

Latest posts