Looking for information on single carb conversion for 1984 gl1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everybody...i can't find to much on this,so i thought i would ask if anybody knows a link to go to or some good info to do this...I've been really busy the last year with rebuilding alot of classics...but this will be my first singel carb conversion..and hopefully i can get alot of new pics of the bikes i have worked on posted soon...please reply with some info..good or bad..it will help.

ive listen to a lot run ...it seems to me that the single vw carb works good ...people are so opinionated on this topic its hard to get good info ...ill think some and post later

Without imposing my opinion (which I try hard not to on ANY subject) it seems to me that any of the single carb manifolds would run on a 1200. Most of them are adjustable enough to make up the slight wider intake spread of the 1200.
I'm just not sure the deal with those exhaust gas tubes built into the heads, where those would connect or if they even need to be connected.
Joe's got (how many now) 1200's in his collection. Maybe he could shed more light on where those tubes connect.

From What I have read online for the 1200,

You would use the 4 tubes coming off of the head's to heat the manifold plenum.

two Alum tubes welded under the VW type IV manifold. Or you could tap into the coolant lines for a heated manifold.

if the four head holes are not to be used then plugging then should not be a problem.

I may convert my 84' 1200 to a single carb. the 32DFT is fairly cheap brand new, $90.00 NEW.

It is a 32mm 2brl Progressive carb. It is the one CM85 uses on his daily driver.

I have No personal experience with this setup, YET, just from what i have read.

as everything is the bs info out paces the good 9 to 1 ... this field is wide open ... theres not one good reason why so many are having trouble with this set up ... im currently working on one to be exposed soon keep watching

I've been ridding an '83I for over three years with a single carb conversion. I've never had a minutes trouble with it. The only down side is a drop in milage, I average around 38 MPG mostly on two lane back roads.
Sorry I'm no help on the tech side, I bought it with the conversion and just ride it. It is a Weber two barrel progressive and a heated manifold with coolant gallerys. It has always started as quick as you can hit and get off the button and never stumbles.
I read all the posts about cleaning/rebuilding/syncing the stock four and just think how easy it would be to un-bolt and set a new carb on my manifold. I also read how much trouble people have sometimes setting up the singles. All I can say is, I am very happy with mine.
Good luck with yours. :salute:

yes gary is our reasident totally happy with hid bike soongle carb guy and has been here a long time .... and not complaint ever a bout his set up ... I rode with him once and he was pushing me to go faster but I knew I was on cop attack zone and held us up some ... it seemed his bike ran really well ...im thinking he has the 32-36 as he said his dosnt down some slightly do as good mpg

his manifold is top of the line after market one with water bypass in it

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94117#p94117:2e0buw6v said:
westgl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:54 pm[/url]":2e0buw6v]
Windnwing

Do you happen to know what single carb that you have?

No, sorry I'm no help there. I know it is old enough to be stamped made in Italy rather than Spain. The outlets are 28 and 30 mm. If that makes it a 28/30, I couldn't find anything on it.
I was looking for an accelerator pump diaphram once and copied all the numbers I could find on the carburetor and the local NAPA dealer couldn't find a listing. I ended up buying one that was close and made it work.

post #12 in this link has a picture of the Manifold I have.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1593&p=20523&hilit=accelerator#p20523

Oh ok so it is a DHTA 28/30, like on the fiat X19, and the strada, or a DFTM 28/30 for the 84-86' ford Fiesta that is a older carb that is hard to find, I hear those are really good carbs, for our application, no personal experience though.

I just did a search for Weber 28/30 and found quite a bit of informattion including exploded view drawings of that carb

I want to do a single carb, using a DFT 32/32 it has a very close resemblance to your DHTA 28/30.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96864#p96864:17uy8dnw said:
joedrum » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:40 pm[/url]":17uy8dnw]
hmmm as I don't have access to all the crabs .....

Joe.....we are talking gasoline here.....not seafood! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96870#p96870:313h7ypj said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:58 pm[/url]":313h7ypj]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96864#p96864:313h7ypj said:
joedrum » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:40 pm[/url]":313h7ypj]
hmmm as I don't have access to all the crabs .....

Joe.....we are talking gasoline here.....not seafood! :smilie_happy:

Or crotch itch. :blush:

Hello Everybody...i can't find to much on this,so i thought i would ask if anybody knows a link to go to or some good info to do this...I've been really busy the last year with rebuilding alot of classics...but this will be my first singel carb conversion..and hopefully i can get alot of new pics of the bikes i have worked on posted soon...please reply with some info..good or bad..it will help.
Sorry for being late on this but I have a complete how to video on the one carb conversion on my You Tube channel Max1Chase1, I completed this conversion 3 days ago and is very satisfied with the operation of it.