• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LOOKING TO FIND - Passenger backrest for an 83 GL1100 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RckRagman

Reaction score
Hey gang...

I started taking pieces off my bike today to bring home and clean up while she sleeps for the winter. I started with the trunk and mounting brackets for the trunk and saddle bags (gonna start small, lol).

Well, I noticed that my passenger backrest (attached to the trunk lid with three bolts and cap nuts) had started falling apart. Metal backing is pretty much rusted out and some of the stitching in the seams are beginning to let go.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced replacement? I've checked eBay, but they haven't got what I'm looking for... I don't need a NEW one, used is just fine so long as I can get the color close enough. Should I just look into going to an upholstery place and just see if they can re-cover it? I know my wife wouldn't mind a cloth cover...

Any suggestions would be helpful... :thanks:

I would think about taking it to a Reupholster shop. They can match it up
and get it back into good shape for you. I have to do the same thing for
my seat and backrest this winter will it is not being used. :good:

You could make a new plate and cover it yourself. Marine vinyl can be sewn on home machines at the longest stitch length.

I agree about that being a great option. . .If I knew how to make one and knew how to sew...Or had a sewing machine for that matter. . . LOL - But I get your point, I don't HAVE to purchase a replacement, one can be made.

Thanks!

Someone you know has to sew. It really is simple. Just get some thin plate (aluminum is easier to work with) cut it the same shape and size as the one you removed. Drill holes where the studs go and push in new bolts with an epoxy of some kind to hold them in place. Use your old foam pad. And make a new cover. coat the edges of the plate (side toward the trunk) with contact cement. And do the same with the inside edges of the new cover. Slide the cover on and even it. Fold over the centers of sides and top and bottom so they are even. then finish folding the edges to the plate and you are done.

That metal back must be a weak link, I had 3 and they where all rusted out. I got mine done at a local upholstery shop for $25 and on the metal I cleaned it up and then used some fiberglass cloth and resin to rebuild it and it worked great.

I just picked up an 83 aspencade - haven't checked the back pad yet but it is dark gray not black. you didn't say what color you needed.
Let me know, I just might also have a black one kicking around. I can't check till this weekend....

Docvan":a8sa8h5h said:
I just picked up an 83 aspencade - haven't checked the back pad yet but it is dark gray not black. you didn't say what color you needed.
Let me know, I just might also have a black one kicking around. I can't check till this weekend....

Sorry, my bad. The seat I have is the standard dark brown, but at this point I'll take whatever I can get, so long as the attaching plate is good. If the color is way off mine, I'd just have it recovered....Let me know what you find......AND THANKS!

Latest posts