Marty's 1981 Goldwing resto

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Dog Tannen

Reaction score
I just bought a 1981 Goldwing last week for $450. I have started to take it apart and collect some parts. The Honda shop close by is closing so I got a good deal on new seals for the shocks. I need a carburetor rebuild kit and the rest I'm going to try and recondition the original parts. I plan on either painting or polishing every surface and cleaning/hiding/fixing all of the wiring. I was thinking of sectioning the tank and bending it to accommodate some lower handlebars. It looks like its made to be modified. In the end I hope to achieve a sportier comfortable riding cafe racer style bike.

Ill post pictures as soon as I can.

D05A5EF4-57AE-402F-A148-9C79C2CC9D96-429-00000072CCF0AF00_zpsf89a6c15.jpg

CA441218-1E9B-407F-B839-D9D49FFF91DA-429-00000072EB44EF28_zps948ace42.jpg

E2FDD781-647E-44D2-BA6C-A68F5D075184-429-00000072E0162512_zpsc90673f3.jpg

Looks like you bought a jewel of a bike. I tried the cafe thing on one of my other bikes with clubman bars. Looked cool but too uncomfortable to ride more than 20 minutes. I turned the bars up and the look isn't bad and it's a lot more comfortable for me to ride.

I paid a grand for my non running "Rats Nest" . Looks like you have a great purchase, congratulations.

That doesn't look like your run of the mill sub 1K Oldwing. That looks more like your in the right place at the right time kind of find. Congrats!

MarkB":1o6hl99z said:
That doesn't look like your run of the mill sub 1K Oldwing. That looks more like your in the right place at the right time kind of find. Congrats!
That's what I think. Especially in California.

Never mind about being found in California - that is one hell of a good price no matter where in the world . Over here in the UK it would have been more likely £1000 ( about $1500 ). Mine cost me £2000 and i was happy to pay that at the time.

Well the shocks need seals, the Carbs need rebuilding, it does not run right now and I got it with just a bill of sale. I'm working out getting the title right now, they said $70 at the DMV and a ass load of paperwork :laptop:

Carbs probably need a good cleaning and adjustment but I really doubt they need rebuilt. Could add transmission sealer fluid to the shocks if they aren't leaking too bad. Check the airlines and connections for leaks too.

Shocks are laeking bad. When I strapped it down in the trailer they pissed all over. I just got all new seals for the forks, I am looking at carb rebuild kits, but I will definately have to crack them open to see whats going on.
And the previous owner said the diaphrams where blown out in the Carbs.
I also wanted to do the timing belts, just because they are rubber and 30 years old. Basically anything I see that looks worn is getting replaced.

The last thing I want failing is the timing belt.

I plan on using a lot of salvage parts where I can. I also like Sportbikes so I will probably use a lot of modern sportbike parts where I can.