Missed it by That much

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
On the way home last Friday we decided to go old Hwy24 because of the wind and go nice and easy. Old 24 is a back country highway with little traffic and it was very windy out

I was riding along and out of the ditch comes a deer, a big one right in front of me. I got slowed down enough to just miss it by a whisker it was that close. There was a red pick-up on-coming and just as I cleared the deer the pick-up right next to me going the other way nails it. The deer threaded the needle between the truck and me.

The sound in my left ear was like a gunshot. BANG the deer got hit but I am thinking oh crap where's it gonna land it was just off my left shoulder.

Ken a friend of mine, Riding behind said the truck spun the deer when it hit and it's legs almost took me out from behind I guess. He then had to dodge the deer that was thrown in front of him.

I didn't stop till we were well clear of everything and I asked Ken If he was okay and him the same back to me. I was shaking like a leaf it all happened so fast. The thing that sticks out the most was the sound when the truck hit. No lie it was like a crack of thunder or a gun shot right in my ear. Got to The nearest coffee shop and power smoked and guzzled a coffee as if I needed the caffeine on top of the adrenaline rush I was already on.

Please be careful especially at night that deer was on full run and wasn't stopping for me or anything else.

Ken and I are fine but I gotta say I am still a little freaked by how fast it happened and that noise

Ride safe polish your gremlin bells, lucky charms, rabbits foot. Whatever your into cause something saved my ass that night, Whatever it was I'm thankful it wasn't my day to Die I guess. But it was too close for comfort.

Ride safe all

Tom

On a lighter note Ken's loud pipes (Harley Rider LOL) didn't do anything to scare off that deer it was coming hard and was not stopping for anything, Loud pipes my bright yellow Fog lights nothin. It was going to get some cause it's mating season and all we do to be safe just didn't even slow it down. LOL

Cheers

dan filipi":243lva6z said:
Wow, reading your story kinda freaked me out too!
Glad your both OK.

Knock on wood I've never come across anything larger than a squirrel, that's enough.

That's the second time for me I almost got one last year but it got clear and so did I safe and sound.

I hope it's not a three times lucky thing :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:

Tom

glad your okay that had to be bad .....im sure the deer there are as big as they are here and that means there as big as the bike and can look you right in the eye when its close like that ......i could reach out and touch one it was so close a few weeks ago.... :heat:

joedrum":1kxccr7n said:
glad your okay that had to be bad .....im sure the deer there are as big as they are here and that means there as big as the bike and can look you right in the eye when its close like that ......i could reach out and touch one it was so close a few weeks ago.... :heat:

He was a biggun LOL He was a blonde deer too!! Almost all white like an albino like a ghost. Weird eh? My friend said if I had stuck my arm straight out when the hit happened I could have patted his rump :shock: :shock:

:hi: Back in the sixties while riding a dirt bike i had one start across the road (a dirt road) and as i got almost to it it turned and started up the road along side of me close enough that i could have gotten on and rode it... I was only doing aboyr 25 or 30 at the time had i been going faster the outcome would have been diferent......Glad th hear your episone was only a close call...thank the lord...Situations like that remind us how vonerable we are and that we have to be on grard at all times....Bob

Good you have enough riding sense to avoid disaster. I spooked a deer less than an hour ago on the way home from work. Seems it didn't like the turn signal beeper. 38 degrees at 70 mph was a tad chilly.

slabghost":2cpxa6v5 said:
Good you have enough riding sense to avoid disaster. I spooked a deer less than an hour ago on the way home from work. Seems it didn't like the turn signal beeper. 38 degrees at 70 mph was a tad chilly.

It's not even that cold here LOL

It's funny sometimes they spook over the strangest things, This guy was being chased I think cause he was on full throttle run and not slowing down for anything. It's the start of the rut up here so the males especially are jumpy and lookin for love and it's almost hunting season so they are really on the move.
Tom

Tomahawk":1xc2m1vu said:
toytender01":1xc2m1vu said:
:hi: Yah I been in a rut latly myself :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Bob

LOL so much for spring fever it's the fall rut :music: :music:

Oh is that why I feel like this lately :smilie_happy:

Latest posts