My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not bitten by envy very often. But I'm very impressed by the transformation. Really happy you have such a nice bike. You deserve it.

Today was the day to visit my neighborhood department of transportation representative and get the title transferred and the bike registered. I left with a plate in hand... let the miles and the smiles begin!
:party:

image.php

It's funny how a bike can talk to you as you are riding it...

Last night I went for a short ride and it became a lot shorter than I planned. As I rode, I realized that I was losing the clutch lever... as in there was very little movement of the clutch lever before the clutch would engage/disengage. I immediately realized what the problem was. :head bang:

The :sensored: idiot that did all the work to the bike forgot to flush the clutch fluid... :oops:

This morning/afternoon my Dad and I spent the day together flushing the brake reservoir and slave cylinder. I think the fluid and gunk that was in there had a born on date of 1987! It's amazing how well a clutch works with brand new fluid in the reservoir.

On another subject...

I think this motor seems hot. Surface temp is running around 180 and the temp gage is below the half way mark, so I don't think there is a problem. I think it is the fairing lowers keeping all the heat inside and forcing the heat onto my legs. I am considering flipping the front two gills on the lowers around to deflect air into the motor but I want to know from those that have done this: how did you do it? I know how I am thinking it should be done, but I want to confirm that before I break out the dremel tool and cutoff wheel.

I think this motor seems hot. Surface temp is running around 180 and the temp gage is below the half way mark, so I don't think there is a problem. I think it is the fairing lowers keeping all the heat inside and forcing the heat onto my legs.

Brian, I have only ridden one 1200 and it was an '85 Limited. Smooth bike, cruise control, real comfy seat, low RPM's, it was a real sweet ride. EXCEPT for the heat roasting my feet! I think it is a 1200 dresser issue for sure!

image.php

Gl1200 dresser puts off tons of heat to the feet and ankles. I did the following for summer running and it worked well, allowing more air to legs and exhausting heated engine air. The scoops around the radiator are still needed to funnel air from sides to radiator. Cost is near nothing if you can find some salvage lowers. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7711

Why not just cut open the blocked faux scoops in the lowers? Get more air into engine area, then install side covers that direct the air downward & out :)

Latest posts