My 1st. Goldwing... My 3rd. Vintage Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,look up boiler-boy on ebay.I can't figure out if tapatalk will let me post a link.btw,I have 2 of them.nice manifolds

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Try this item number 284119275042

Right now boiler-boy does not have any manifolds listed, probably make some up. Before I ordered my manifold I sent a personal message to boiler-boy to find out a little more about the manifold. He was very quick to reply and sent me an item number for one he had just finished and put up for sale. I got it about 5 days later. Nice workmanship and good fit. Will worth the price.

Later, Bud...

Ill post one of mine,but it will be the weekend.

Here's a couple of pictures. The one is the manifold with the intakes installed, the other is installed on the bike (carb not mounted yet).

I'll post more as I get things put together.

Later, Bud...

BTW - boiler-boy just put one up on eBay.

Attachments

• Intake.JPG
    Intake.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Intake Installed.JPG
    Intake Installed.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 121
That's a ok manifold ...things to look out for are vacuum leaks at the intake horns I'm assuming it's not rib like stock is ...most stock car carbs have healthy idle circuits hard to get them right ...most one barrel carbs have limited adjustment to cater to entire rpm range ..mines a 2 barrel so I don't know much here many do well and many don't ..many years ago I dial one in really nice while drunk I don't recall much of that day but me and JPwonger put it all together and dialed it in nice ..I didn't ride it I was to drunk but the owner did .. Man what a meet and greet tjat was about 15people there I thino

Good luck on this

Joe,I hear ya on the 1 barrel.in my limited riding on the street in front of the house,I have a flat spot at 3 grand.I put a bigger main jet in it but haven't ridden it yet.

Hmmm duster ..take plugs out ..clean up good ..put back in ..go for ride ..and stay in the bad spot as long as you can good 30 minutes or more is best ..turn bike off let it cool down good ..take plugs out and check them to see if rich or lean both things can cause flat spot ..took me forever to figure out this trick to access the situation on carb dial in ...also not recommended but I also adjusted carb in thete bad spots while riding lol that was insane...but taught me a lot...I lived in the middle of nowhere so traffic was no problem and still about killed myself don't do it duster

Ill do that when I get it legal

Okay, I'll try this one more time. Created a very lengthy post Saved it as a Draft and when I tried to finish it - I can't fine it :rant: ...

I got the Ol' Wing running with the SCC :clapping: Not without some difficulty; when I went to fire it up, NO fire. Chased that for too long, and found that 3 or the 4 spark plugs had almost no gap. I should have caught that when doing the compression checks, but I was focused on the condition of the cylinders not the plugs. Gapped them to .028. Then checked the points they were set about .028 so adjusted to .014. Checked for fire before reinstalling the plugs; nice blue spark - tried it again. Took some cranking and some more cranking, but the ol' gal came to life - Vroooom. I didn't run it long cause I was running with an I-V and the coolant system is not installed. But she runs!!! on a 34 PICT-3 Single Carburetor. :Egyptian:

So, now I have to get to work on some of the not so much fun stuff - cleaning the gas tank, connecting the radiator, then I can fire it up and start tuning.

The instruction that came with the manifold suggested cutting the Fuel Shut-off valve to make a plug so it would be easier to make the adjustments just above the valve. I'm old-school and have a problem cutting up a perfectly good part to make a plug or something. So, I went in search for an 11mm Extra Fine Thread bolt to use as a plug - Not to be found - even the specialty nut and bolt store (45 mile away) said, "Good Luck." I can get to the adjustments (not real easy, but do able) so I wired the valve to a switched 12V. Once I get it dialed in I don't expect to need to adjust that much.

Once started it would restart with just a touch of the button. It would rev from ideal to 3000+ smoothly with no immediate notice of stumble or hesitation (bet that changes under load from what I've read).

I'm attaching a couple of pictures. It's almost impossible to get a good picture of the installed carb that shows any significant detail, but they're here for your viewing pleasure. Once I get things to a more complete state I'll make a short video of the ol' girl running.

For those interested - so far I have about $225 invested in the single carb conversion, and about 30 hours (I could probably do the conversion in about 15 hours if I started with a running Wing).

Lateer, Bud...

Attachments

• Intake Installed.JPG
    Intake Installed.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Carb Installed.JPG
    Carb Installed.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 183
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220895#p220895:2tqdk5d9 said:
joedrum » 2021-02-02- 17:20[/url]":2tqdk5d9]
Very nice now the fun begins...nice work

Right, some fun. :Awe: Seems every time I fix something, something else sticks its ugly head up.

I finally got the rear brake parts in and finished putting all that together and bleeding the system. Now I have rear brakes (at least on the lift they seem to work ok).

Then a few days later the new water pump showed up. Put it in and filled the system. Spilled coolant everywhere. Forgot to tighten the hose clamps for the lower radiator hose, saw the drips, heart rate went to triple digits, settled down, tightened the clamps, no leaks. Went out the next morning and saw two small drops from the weep hole. Somewhere I read that often new water pumps might have a small leak till they get settled in. It's a Honda pump and I'm sure I got all the seals and gaskets installed correctly. Hoping it stops when I get it on the road.

In the meantime, I noticed the left front caliper is leaking. The front brakes still feel good at the lever and the leak is very minor. Ordered a rebuild kit. The previous owner assured me he had rebuilt the calipers, etc. He must have rushed through the job.

So, Sunday night I decided it was time to fire it up again. This time on the bike's tank instead of the IV. I installed the new/used fuel sending unit, hooked up the fuel lines, put 2 gallons of fresh 93 0ctane gas, and nothing. No gas coming out of the petcock - WTF? Back to the station got another gallon, put it in and it takes 3 gallons of gas to exit the petcock. However, the gas gauge showed 1/4. Very weird - any thoughts why 2 gallons is not enough to flow?

But I primed the carb and cranked it and it fired right up and runs. Hope to get it on the road in the next week or so. I still have to fix the tail lights and rear turn signals.

I was going to add the video I took of it running, but I have to figure out how to do that. I'll post it soon (I hope).

SOME FUN ! :head bang:

Later, Bud...

Been a while since I provided an update, so yesterday I made a point to accomplish something.

Last week I finally got the correct caliper seal kit for the left front fork and got it installed. Looks like that fixed that leak. Then I proceeded to find out why the right rear turn signal didn't work. Discovered the bulb socket was rusted and corroded. Got a replacement socket from the local auto parts store and a new bulb. The rear turn signals are from a '79 (I believe, big and rectangular). Figured out how to take it completely apart to put in the new socket. Put it back together and now we have legal lights - front and rear.

So, yesterday was "Road Test Day!" Moved stuff around in the garage so I could get it out. Now in the driveway it did not want to start. It always starts right up on the lift - WTF. Some how I flooded it and run the battery down trying to clear it. Finally got it started and away we go. I live in an area with a couple of loop roads. One about a mile that comes back to my house and another that is 3 miles that cuts off of the one mile loop - rode both. It actually rides pretty good for a 46 year ol' gal. I think the shocks might even be original.

The engine runs smooth and pulls hard; no stumbles, but near the end of my ride it died when I backed-off the throttle. Started right back up and we pulled in the driveway. In the garage I did a quick look-over and only found two things that need immediate attention - Left front fork seal is leaking and coolant under the left valve cover. Not coming from the valve cover but on the floor right under it.

Today I get to find out where the coolant is coming from. The fork seal can wait. Maybe next ride I can get the required video of this beast
doing what it was designed to do.

Later, Bud...