My 75 starts it's return to the road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I received my 75 GL 1000 that I purchased from a good friend. My plan is to get this bike back to the way it was originally. There have been changes added over the years so I will be looking for some original style parts. This bike was a runner when it was parked over 10 years ago so I plan to make it run again.

Hi guys. I'm trying to keep a photo record of this project. I still don't know my way around this forum very well but I have put all my images so far into my album. I assume you guys can look at them there. Let me know if I have to give permission or something. Tomorrow I'll continue with things.

Tim

Day 2

dumped the coolant (looks like new and no scum in the radiator)....dumped the oil and filter (also looks pretty good)....pulled the plugs ( look to be in good shape, #4 might be a bit rich)....dumped the crash bar....removed the radiator. It seems there are a lot of after market chromed bits that are all peeling. That's it for today.

Tim

Day 3

I went shopping at the local motorcycle salvage shop (Bent Bikes) which is less than a mile from my house. The first thing I stumbled on was a set of rear shocks for my 75. I also scored a shift lever, headlight and front turn signals. My next project will be to check out the electrical system.

Tim

Day 4
All the lights are after market but the headlight looks fine. The turn signals are going back because they don't fit. I did rotate the crank today and everything moves fine. Next item is the belts.

Tim

Day 5
Finally a nice day....rolled the bike out and washed it as well as I could....filled the oil...changed the filter....started the belts....installed headlight bucket....removed the floor boards....ran out of energy

Day 6

Didn't have a lot of time today but made a deal on some needed parts. I did finish the timing belts and adjusted the valves...installed the battery...engine turns over like gangbusters...next is the compression check and new plugs. Last but not least is the fuel system.

Tim

if it's been sitting a long time compression may be low. This is usually stuck rings. A little run time brings up compression.

Well today was a bust. I've been out of turning wrenches for more than 30 years so things are a bit different now. I discovered the wing has 12mm spark plugs which I didn't even know existed. My compression tester does the car thing (18mm or 14mm) so I gave up on doing a compression test. I did get new plugs installed. Tomorrow I am picking up some parts from a new friend who is a wing guy and has some 1000 stuff. I will be yelling for help soon because the next project is the gas tank. I've read about the electrolysis method and that looks like the only way to go without removing the tank. If I am understanding this right it sounds like reversing the polarity will reverse the process. If so, what would happen if you used a copper anode and plated the inside of the tank with copper? That's all for today folks. I really appreciate the support from the forum.

Tim

Day 8

Not much time today....picked up some new (to me) valve covers and timing covers. They are much nicer than the ones I have now. I did get the headlight installed and tested. I borrowed a stand alone gas tank so I can do a gravity feed to see if it will start before I button up the timing covers.

Tim

Latest posts