My Air Suspension Trailer Mystery

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Not a tow behind my Wing but to tow my Wing behind our car.

This is my first Air Ride(only) suspension. The trailer uses a couple Firestone Air shocks and no springs/torsion bars etc, and a small onboard air pump.

The trailer works fine when the GL1200 or R100RT is onboard, i.e. the air pumps the deck up to the proper height and stops. I can then unplug the power and the ride height will remain the same for hours. But if the trailer is unloaded and pumped up then parked and disconnected from power the trailer will settle down to empty, loading height.

I can only figure there is some type of oneway air valve in the pump that stays closed when not pumping when a high pressure is applied but leaks when low pressure of just the trailer bed itself is applied.
What bothers me is the pump will be running a lot when the trailer is empty being driven somewhere.

Any thought? Is this normal or is there a component that needs checking/replacing?
Thanks
OC

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219169#p219169:3mdibsqj said:
Two85s » Yesterday- 21:03[/url]":3mdibsqj]
Most heavy duty air ride systems have a ride height valve that keep the bags from over inflating. I would look there first.

This trailer uses a microswitch to set the ride height, i.e. sw closed air pump powered, sw open no power. That sw is working perfectly. I haven't seen any pressure switches or relief valves but I'll give it another look.
Thanks

OC

If you mix some dish soap with water (about the concentration you would use washing dishes) and put it in a spray bottle then spray over all the air components when the trailer suspension is aired up with no load it will foam up over any leak you might have.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219174#p219174:1bzp1lxa said:
Believer45 » Today- 8:53[/url]":1bzp1lxa]
If you mix some dish soap with water (about the concentration you would use washing dishes) and put it in a spray bottle then spray over all the air components when the trailer suspension is aired up with no load it will foam up over any leak you might have.
HaHa yes I know that old trick :) I tried that in the spring and nada :( But it's a good thought I should try again since it does seem to leak down a bit quicker than back in May.
Thanks
OC

Latest posts