My low beam isn’t working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if anybody has had this problem but My low beam stopped working.
I used my ohm meter to check the headlight bulb & is has continuity on all contacts. So I check voltage & ground. Ground has 0 ohm, the high beam has 12 volts but the low beam only has from 8.7 volts to 10.9 volts. I have no idea why its fluctuating. I did open up the housing & sprayed contact cleaner on the switch but it did not change anything. :Awe:

It's time to trace that wire back through the system. Check voltage at the fuse box for that circuit. Clean all connectors that are involved including grounds to headlight bucket. You may have to disassemble the hi/lo switch to physically clean the contacts with fine crokus cloth or 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Taking the switch apart insn't hard, just be slow and careful. I did once have a bulb that burned out the low beam only, and the bike ran the highbeam only on both switch settings. (83 aspencade) a new bulb fixed the problem.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208878#p208878:2qbxqcnq said:
kerryb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:53 pm[/url]":2qbxqcnq]
It's time to trace that wire back through the system. Check voltage at the fuse box for that circuit. Clean all connectors that are involved including grounds to headlight bucket. You may have to disassemble the hi/lo switch to physically clean the contacts with fine crokus cloth or 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Taking the switch apart insn't hard, just be slow and careful. I did once have a bulb that burned out the low beam only, and the bike ran the highbeam only on both switch settings. (83 aspencade) a new bulb fixed the problem.

Great advice

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208878#p208878:2g8qqm8z said:
kerryb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:53 pm[/url]":2g8qqm8z]
TNX for the info... I went on a 200 miles ride yesterday with a new club, so I put it back together & didn't get a chance to start tracing but it did trigger a thought. I had a friend put on a fairing about 4 yrs ago & I think he only taped the wires in the old headlight. Also check for corrosion at the Amphenol connector, so I'll start there.
TNX again

If you do take the switch apart, be really careful how you put it back on, they can be broken real easily by trying to get the 3 screws too tight.

It's better to ensure that the screws are even, rather than tight and keep checking the switch for movement on the handlebar, once it's on there tight, it's done.

A lot has happened since I started this post. We sold our house in Chico, CA and are looking for a house in Sequim, WA. But I did find the problem & I was right. The friend that put my fairing on, used those cheap 3M Scotchlok crap. :evil:
I will have to change all of the connections and solder and put heat shrink tubing on all the splices. I only had time to fix the Low beam but I need replace my taillight bulbs with new Sylvania 1157 ZEVO LED bulbs. As soon as we get a placed to live (only been here 3 days now) I’m going to ride my bike back up here. :yahoo:
:thanks:

Latest posts