My new old 'Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityisnotmyfriend

Reaction score
Just introducing myself as a first time Goldwing owner. Not really new to motorcycles or even Goldwings. My dad has been an avid 'Wing rider since about 1994. When I was 14 my dad, my brother, and I were going to take a motorcycle trip from WI out to Colorado. My dad had a GL500 and my brother had a CX500. The plan was for my brother to drive his bike and for me to ride behind my dad. Well, my mom convinced us that a 500 was too small for a 2up trip to colorado. My dad found a 1983 GL1100. He bought it with the intentions of selling it when we got back. The trip was awesome - and when we got back, dad couldn't stomach riding that puny 500 anymore and kept the bike. That bike got sold for a 1500 and now my dad rides his 1800 Goldwing. I've driven all of his bikes and am pretty familiar with them.

Anyway, my uncle was diagnosed with cancer several years ago. I had always gotten along good with him and I'm the only person he knows that's really into motorcycles. He recently passed away and that's when I found out he had left his bike to me - a 1983 GL1100 Interstate. I talked to some people and found out that he hadn't ridden the bike in years. So, I went to pick it up with a truck - fearing the worst.

What I found was not what I expected. Clearly my uncle loved the bike. It was in a garage under a bike cover. In the trunk were meticulous maintenance records. Recent oil change, new tires, new timing belt and nearly new battery. My uncle's friend had recently taken the battery out and put it on a tender - so when I went to pick it up the battery was ready to go.

I installed the battery, turned the gas on, pulled the choke and hit the starter. Unbelievably, it fired up almost immediately. She smoked - alot at first, but eventually it burned off. I wasn't terribly concerned. It was just smoke out of the LH exhaust and the bike had been parked on the side stand for a long time. I remember that my dad's 1100 did the same thing when sitting on the side stand for very long.

She ran, and ran really well. The tires were low, the back brake didn't work, but everything else seemed to be in good shape. So, I loaded it in my truck and took it home.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 162
After getting the bike home, I went through it - and found that it needed surprisingly little work. I bled the back brakes and they came back to life. No small feat, BTW - that LH saddle bag had to come off and it doesn't have a quick release! The radio works - though I may be updating to a new head unit. Got rid of my cassettes long ago. I had to tighten the bolts under the side mirrors as there wasn't enough tension to hold them in place. I drained out the old gas and put fresh non ethanol in it.

Overall I'm very impressed with the bike. I can't believe how quiet and smooth that engine is. There is no vibration at highway speeds. The wind protection is so much better than any of my other bikes. Storage room for days. I can fit a full faced helmet and lunch bag in my top box.

My kids absolutely love the bike. The back seat is super comfy for them and they are fascinated by the tape deck. I don't know how many rides I've given them since I got the bike - but they really love riding on it.

I don't really need another bike, and wasn't sure if I'd even keep it when I first found out it was left to me - but I really like it. And it actually brings back memories of riding behind my dad on his. Like accelerating up the onramp - when you really grab throttle on this bike, you can hear a sort of whining of the air getting sucked into the intake. Very unique sound and I've only ever heard it on the GL1100. Brings a guy back.

I'm not sure what the long term plan for the bike is. I know when I was a kid, I always wanted to ride in a sidecar. I'm considering adding one to this bike as it seems like it'd make a good tug.

I thought I'd be needing a lot more advice at this point - but there are only two things that I'd like to address.

1st - the turnsignals. They only work when the bike is warmed up. When I first start it in the morning, they don't work. Nothing lights up at all. But after runnign about 5 mins, they work fine. Even the self cancelling feature works. Anything to look at there?

2nd - I'm wondering if there are any options for dropping the footpegs an inch or two. I'm 6'4" and I find the peg position cramped. I know I could raise the seat - but I'm kinda at the upper limit of the wind protection as it is. I'd rather not go up much higher.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 157
Hmmm the pegs are low enough ..lowering them could turn into corner scraping ...I’m rather clueless on the electrical issue ..I’d say best move is go through all the connections and clean things up as part of being things up to par ...they that grease you can use to stop corrosion ...

I'd suggest as Joe said to clean all of the connections (including fuses and their sockets) and maybe open the left control and clean the contacts there. If that doesn't fix it, try changing the flasher relay out with an electronic unit. I get mine at NAPA, round brown-tinted plastic can with white lettering on the outside. I have one in both of my 1000's.

Oh, and change the belts!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212486#p212486:qqct0fx8 said:
joedrum » Today- 8:49[/url]":qqct0fx8]
Hmmm the pegs are low enough ..lowering them could turn into corner scraping

Not if I put a side car on it! :rtfm: :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212487#p212487:1fj9aenm said:
pidjones » 24 minutes ago[/url]":1fj9aenm]
I'd suggest as Joe said to clean all of the connections (including fuses and their sockets) and maybe open the left control and clean the contacts there. If that doesn't fix it, try changing the flasher relay out with an electronic unit. I get mine at NAPA, round brown-tinted plastic can with white lettering on the outside. I have one in both of my 1000's.

Oh, and change the belts!

I did check the connections under the LH panel they were all clean and full of what I assume is dialectic grease. I've read that bad connections there could cause a stator failure - though as I understand it, it's more an issue with the 1200's?

Belts were replaced at the 60k miles. It's got 69k on it now. Do they wear out that fast?

I am sorry that I have to say congrats on your new wing, but Welcome to Classics from PA!

You may want to consider floorboards. I'm 6'3" and on the 1100 I am cramped with just pegs, but the floorboards give me an extra two inches. If you are thinking of putting a sidecar on, the boards won't make a difference. Electrical connections, and a good ground are essential for everything to work correctly, so it sounds like you have a loose ground that may tighten up when things warm up and the metal expands.

As far as the belts go... yeah, there are 9,000 miles on them, but how long ago were they changed? If they are old, you do not want them to break: bad things happen inside an interference engine when that happens.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212495#p212495:1wflm7h2 said:
brianinpa » 42 minutes ago[/url]":1wflm7h2]
I am sorry that I have to say congrats on your new wing, but Welcome to Classics from PA!

You may want to consider floorboards. I'm 6'3" and on the 1100 I am cramped with just pegs, but the floorboards give me an extra two inches. If you are thinking of putting a sidecar on, the boards won't make a difference. Electrical connections, and a good ground are essential for everything to work correctly, so it sounds like you have a loose ground that may tighten up when things warm up and the metal expands.

As far as the belts go... yeah, there are 9,000 miles on them, but how long ago were they changed? If they are old, you do not want them to break: bad things happen inside an interference engine when that happens.

Thanks for the welcome - and condolences. Thankfully my uncle was never in any real pain despite being sick. He was upbeat and had a decent quality of life all the way to the end.

Boards eh? I'll give those a shot. I'm sure I can google about for answers - but since you have first hand experience, I'll bug you. What do you do about rear brakes with floor boards? I'm assuming you go with some sort of heel/toe rocker for shifting?

I'll dig into the electrical. I'm considering upgrading the fuse block to get rid of the glass fuses in favor of modern blade ones. It'd be a good time to chase wires and make sure all the connections are good. Probably open up the handle bar controls too and see if there's anything amiss in there.

Oh yeah - pistons and valves do not make nice bedfellows! I'd much rather keep them apart. I'll have to check the service records when I get home and see when they were changed.

That is my newest 1100 - the boards were on there when I bought the bike. This is the one that I put 50,000 miles on over the years, and I bought the boards either on ebay or a forum. You either love them or hate them and those that hate them seem to give them away.

image.php

For the brakes, there is a foot rest behind and slightly above the brake pedal that you rest the heel of your foot on and are able to press on the brake pedal. A heel/toe shifter is required, and once you become accustomed to it, I think is easier than any other type of shifter.

Good stuff on floorboards. And comparing the boards on your 1100 to the pegs on mine, I can see how they'd give me a lot more room. Just found a pair of boards on ebay for $45 - shipped. They're on the way!

Looks like they have the heel rest on the RH side as well as the heel/toe shifter and linkage for the left. And at that price, it's not much of a risk if I don't like em.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212502#p212502:3l0d0eqo said:
gravityisnotmyfriend » Yesterday, 3:34 pm[/url]":3l0d0eqo]
Good stuff on floorboards. And comparing the boards on your 1100 to the pegs on mine, I can see how they'd give me a lot more room. Just found a pair of boards on ebay for $45 - shipped. They're on the way!

Looks like they have the heel rest on the RH side as well as the heel/toe shifter and linkage for the left. And at that price, it's not much of a risk if I don't like em.
The PO "upgraded" my rear brake pedal. Had the bike 30 years now and it came with floor boards. I don't know for "heel rest". :blush: Post on my brake pedal.
https://classicgoldwings.com//forum/vie ... 89#p179689
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Contact cleaner can be you friend chasing down electrical gremlins. I bough a can at HomeDepot awhile back. Took a little while to find as it was in the electrical department on a low shelf, not on the end stand with all the other spray cleaners/lubricates. Also an OE Electrical Troubleshooting manual for these bike is essential IMO.
Congrats on the bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212531#p212531:uktkm9qh said:
D-50Dave » 2019-09-07- 8:23[/url]":uktkm9qh]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212502#p212502:uktkm9qh said:
gravityisnotmyfriend » Yesterday, 3:34 pm[/url]":uktkm9qh]

The PO "upgraded" my rear brake pedal. Had the bike 30 years now and it came with floor boards. I don't know for "heel rest". :blush: Post on my brake pedal.
https://classicgoldwings.com//forum/vie ... 89#p179689
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Thanks for the welcome. My floor boards are supposed to be here next week. Though they've already shipped, so I'm hoping they'll be sooner.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212504#p212504:uktkm9qh said:
julimike54 » 2019-09-06- 14:34[/url]":uktkm9qh]
Welcome to The Forum and enjoy! Nice looking new ride!
Thank you. And that's how she looks after sitting under a cover for the last few years. I really need to take the time to give her a good wash and wax.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212515#p212515:uktkm9qh said:
mjanderson » 2019-09-06- 21:43[/url]":uktkm9qh]
Welcome from NorCal.
Thanks!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212589#p212589:uktkm9qh said:
OldCrow » Today- 3:47[/url]":uktkm9qh]
Contact cleaner can be you friend chasing down electrical gremlins. I bough a can at HomeDepot awhile back. Took a little while to find as it was in the electrical department on a low shelf, not on the end stand with all the other spray cleaners/lubricates. Also an OE Electrical Troubleshooting manual for these bike is essential IMO.
Congrats on the bike.

Thank you. I think that's my next step - just going through all connections and thoroughly cleaning them. If there is something loose, that's a good way to track it down. And, maybe just cleaning everything will take care of the issue.

Floorboards came in yesterday. Pretty straightforward install. They came with a heel/toe rocker that just moves the existing shift lever and a heel rest to use the rear brake.

Jury is out on them. Not immediately digging the setup. I do gain a little room downward, but it also puts my feet further out. And, the back brake pedal hits the frame of the floor board so I lose some of my rear braking ability.

I'll commute with them a bit and see if I end up keeping them on or not.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 120
I was not a fan of the floorboards that came with my '82. In the summer, they seemed to send exhaust heat right across my feet, scrapped in turns everytime and made shifting very clunky.

Looking at the pictures you have posted so far leads me to ask if you have moved your seat all the way back yet? The 1100 seats have three adjustments levels. All the way forward, center and then all the way back. (Never assume.)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212636#p212636:1j24802f said:
mcgovern61 » 24 minutes ago[/url]":1j24802f]
I was not a fan of the floorboards that came with my '82. In the summer, they seemed to send exhaust heat right across my feet, scrapped in turns everytime and made shifting very clunky.

Looking at the pictures you have posted so far leads me to ask if you have moved your seat all the way back yet? The 1100 seats have three adjustments levels. All the way forward, center and then all the way back. (Never assume.)

OH FFS!!!!

:head bang: :head bang: :head bang:

I was commuting on the wing this morning and thinking that if I could just move the ridge of the driver's seat back an inch or two, it'd be so much more comfortable. Or even just removing the cover and foam, and reupholstering it more flat like a CB seat so I could put my keister where ever I wanted.

Adjustable seat!??! Whoever heard of a motorcycle with an adjustable seat?!?!!

So... No. No, my seat was all the way in the front position. After a quick google, I found the latch and my seat slid way back. I think that's all I need for the bike to fit me.

Thanks for stating what was probably obvious to everyone but me!

Latest posts