My Overhaul Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJA

Reaction score
Hey all! I started talking about this in my "hi, I'm the new guy" thread, but decided to move the discussion here because it seems more relevant in this forum.

I have an '82 Aspencade that needed *quite* a bit of work done to it, electrical system-wise, and since the stator died, I figure what better time than now to do it?

Here are my main goals with the bike in order of priority, with notes on how I plan on getting it done, and what I'll be using:

1) Alternator Conversion kit: I've had a lot of advice on this one from many awesome guys. I found the alternator I'm going to be using, my neighbor who loves working on motorcycles is fabricating the pulley and all other brackets I need, but I just need to get a the new crankshaft bolt for the project. If anyone has one for sale, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands! It is the same bolt used on the 1200 series. I'm using an alternator for a Chevy Mini that puts out 50A.

2) Radio upgrade: a Shark 250W system with speakers, including a AUX input, USB port to charge my cell phone/GPS, and even an SD card built into it (model #SHKMSDHRS6160 on Amazon.com). After tearing out the speakers, it looks like I can make a hole with dremel in the fairing under the stock speaker housing to fit the upgraded Shark speakers since they are a tad deeper than the original ones. For the control unit, I'm looking into seeing if it will fit into the center of the fairing with a clear plastic latch to cover it in inclement weather. Might stick out a tad, but I can always make a thick gasket for that center panel where the voltmeter is to make it a little more flush with the panel.

3) Progressive front springs: I already have progressive rear shocks on the back installed when I bought the bike, and it is nice since they don't leak and maintain a constant PSI. The fronts are stock, leak constantly, and if I'm going to be tearing them apart, might as well do me one better and install something better. One question I have about this, though... the rears are nice since they don't require the "maintenance" of having to adjust them by the mechanism on the false tank, but if I do the fronts, is it possible to just remove the unit entirely, or would that just be too big of a PITA? The unit would be pretty much dead weight and useless, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove it, and make it into something that will be more useful, like a cupholder! :smilie_happy:

Any help in picking out some good progressive front springs would be awesome!

4) Paint job! My goal here is to go from the stock brown-ish color that it came in back in '82 to a beautiful blue color that my original Subaru had. The color is Rally Pearl Blue, as seen in the pic below:
Zaino%20ZKIT-1%20World%20Rally%20Blue%20STi%20Richard-1.jpg

The only problem I can see now is that there are a couple pockets near the rear "trunk" that are the brown leather, so I'll either have to find either black ones, or find someone good with working with leather/fabrics and somehow reupholster them. Also, I'm going to have to get a new seat, but I'll be happy with getting a black leather one. It will go well with the blue! As for the rest of the trim lines and such, maybe I'll have them redone in black with someone with a steady hand, but in the meantime, the bike will be a solid blue. A lot of the chrome has faded on the bike or has become cracked/chipped, so I might just have to get "chrome in a can" to re-do those parts, since it would probably cost way too much to re-chrome them the "correct way".

As for the paint job itself, I have an air compressor so I have the capability to airbrush, but not the ability, so I will likely use a high-gloss enamel paint in a spray can after doing all the proper sanding and prep work.

5) New lights: With the alternator conversion kit, it make sense to use the power I have! Perhaps grab some nice aftermarket turn signals, running lights, and other things to help me be seen. This one shouldn't be too expensive, hopefully.

6)CB Upgrade: I'm looking at the JMCB-2003B unit, but this one depends on how tight my budget is at this point. I could go without the intercom/CB, really, it is just a "nice-ity", not a necessity. I would leave this system separate from the radio system, meaning the J&M would have no direct contact with the Shark system. I thought about somehow splicing the two systems together, but really, having the CB or intercom play of the speakers doesn't make a whole lot of sense, plus by keeping them two different systems, it will be easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

So that pretty much wraps it up! If anyone has any suggestions, hints, or advice on the things I'm unsure about, please let me know! I'll update this as I go along, and be done within the month, optimistically. :rocks:

joedrum":1xpyuw2l said:
good progressives front and rear dont realy need air .....

Bah, you are correct. Any ideas on whether or not I can just remove the unit on the false tank if I go progressive on the front?

Update, with some pics...

Got the fairing off, and here were all the wires that were just inside the fairing. Yikes!

20120402132854356.jpg

Sad thing is, is that the pile grew a tad when I finally removed a bunch of these:

20120402140119351.jpg

Leaving the stock wiring on the chassis, leading to this:

20120402152727348a.jpg

It took me about 4 hours to remove the fairing, the false tank, and do some cleanup of the wiring. On the chassis, you might notice that the wires for the brake lights are not there, because I unplugged them and wrapped them near the rear end so they wouldn't get misidentified and removed. Same thing with the CB antennae and the radio antennae. All I have left to remove is the rear hatch, then I'm about ready to do some stripping and sanding this week, and hopefully get to painting next week. The alternator is on the way, along with the new sound system.

I'm doing to be degreasing and cleaning of the chassis, obviously, before everything is put back together.

So far, it is pretty fun! To be honest, I have so little experience with motorcycles.. actually, this is my first one. But, the way I see it, I have a lot of work that needs to be done, and what better way to get acquainted with my bike then tearing it down! I'm just about at a stand still until I remove the hatch, but after a couple hours today, I'm taking a break.

Lot of work ahead of you! Should be fun!

Heads up...it appears the passenger floorboards are installed on an angle. They normally are not angled in like that. Better check to see how they are installed.

mcgovern61":2v5h02l0 said:
Heads up...it appears the passenger floorboards are installed on an angle. They normally are not angled in like that. Better check to see how they are installed.

I'll take a took at it tonight... weird. :nea:

RyanJA":1nsqg2nm said:
mcgovern61":1nsqg2nm said:

Maybe the previous co-rider was pigeon toed.

Mark

MarkB":jdegpoge said:
RyanJA":jdegpoge said:
mcgovern61":jdegpoge said:

Maybe the previous co-rider was pigeon toed.

Mark

LOL pigeion toed !! - I had a set of rear passenger boards and they were the ones that mounted over the exisiting footpegs - never seen them straight yet

As far as paint - you might want to go lacquer (duplicolor) and then top that with a 2 part polyurethane clear - in a can. The clear isn't cheap but will be a lot more durable than the plain lacquer.

I have it on good authority the clear is compatible with lacquer, but not the enamel (rustoleum). It will orange peel.

Nice ideas. I'd like a new stereo and speakers. I did spring for some new speakers, but it is the 83 radio that is powering the them. not all that as you know.

I went down this road with my first GL - I'm still working on it! Then again I've taken out, painted the motor, had the frame powdercoated etc.... That and I always had something else to ride. I might finish it....I'm hoping.

Speaking of powdercoating.....you could do that to some of the chrome if you were inclined. Just my humble opinion ---- chrome in a can looks exactly like that. I did get away with it on the radiator grill on my 78 but it was down low/shaded. it was still chrome in a can!

I am going to have to check out that stereo.

Does one need a cb? I know nothing.....

Other than that - you will love it!

Pony Ruiz":3r3yjc0p said:
Speaking of powdercoating.....you could do that to some of the chrome if you were inclined. Just my humble opinion ---- chrome in a can looks exactly like that. I did get away with it on the radiator grill on my 78 but it was down low/shaded. it was still chrome in a can!

I appreciate the advice on the paint! I was actually looking at the "chrome in a can" stuff available, watching different youtube videos of people using it, and it still didn't seem right. I mean, sure, some looked shiny and whatnot, but something was missing. The only part I *really* need to have re-chromed is the part that goes below the windshield on the fairing. I'll post pics of the part tomorrow, since I just got back in from cleaning about 5lbs worth of grime, grease and other unknown substances caked onto the frame, along the drive shaft and by the rear tire, and I am pretty beat! And to think I only really did one side.... :crying: Glad I'm doing it, though, since there are rust spots that I can destroy before they start to eat into my frame.

As for the other parts that are chrome, like the rear end, the side panels and the trunk bracket, I think they can be restored with time, patience, and polish.

I'm considering painting my exhaust a high-gloss black (since there is a lot of surface rust that I can remove, but probably won't be able to restore the shine anywhere close to original), which won't be too gawdy since it will match the trim and seats, and goes well with the blue that I aim to do.

With most of the parts being delivered this week, I can start with the re-wiring process. I expect that to take me about 3 days to get it right, but I'm going to be at a stand-still till my neighbor fabricates the parts for the alternator conversion.

I will absolutely post pics of the speaker and unit setup, with what modifications need to be done, when I get them in. Like a smart lad, I'll measure ten times, cut once. :smilie_happy:

*EDIT* Dangit... it looks like the lacquer from Duplicolor doesn't come in blue, only blacks, metallic, white and clear... :nea:

One thing that works amazingly well on old chrome: bronze wool.

not steel wool -"bronze wool" It looks like bronze cause it probably is....

will scrub away surface rust and then some and not scratch the chrome.

I need that windshield pc. chromed too, but I think I migh powdercoat it instead or just leave it....'natural'

Good to get the rust spots. I did that on my runner when I had the motor out.

I like your enthusiasm!

Thanks! I just have a feeling this summer is going to be awesome for riding, and aim to get this done as soon as possible. I honestly thought it would take longer to get the fairing and false tank off...

Also, I want to have the bike done, any problems rooted out and having all the new stuff "broken in" for a motorcycle rally in July in Tennessee. My father invited me, and it would be awesome to take the bike he sold me, restore/upgrade it, and have some great quality time with him. Can't remember the name of the rally, but it has something to do with "dragon road" or the like, where there is something like 300 turns in 100 miles or something along a coastline.. Don't have the details on me, unfortunately.

I think that is the one, yeah. He rides a newer Goldwing, I think an '06? My neighbor has a Harley he is taking down as well.

Watching the video.... yeah, I'm gonna be the guy who takes it nice and slow!

Latest posts