My Overhaul Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes sir nice and slow for me too' been over it going and coming.day and nite .and you still have a few trying to end up dead. they must have good insurance but i think they forgot they don't get the money.

Quick update before I head to bed.. I received the stereo, and wow! Nice little unit! Although I didn't order the one I wanted.. d'oh! I thought I ordered the one with the built-in USB port to charge my cell phone/GPS, it isn't too big of a deal, since I found a link that explains, with pics, how to easily install a USB port on a motorcycle! https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-install-charging-usb-port-your-bike-zomg-96467/. It still has the 1/8" auxiliary input on it though on the front, so it will do just fine. The button layout is minimalistic, meaning there are few, and they are TINY! So, I am going to go for a setup where it is mounted in the center of the fairing, to the left of the voltmeter. I don't want to have to really take my eyes off the road. The wired remote has 4 buttons on it: Volume +, Volume -, Mute and Mode, which (if I'm reading the manual correctly) switches from FM to Auxiliary sound. The buttons on the remote and the main unit feel crisp, not spongy, so there is no question when you're riding if you hit it or not.

Now, for the pics of the unit and speakers:

20120405020316999.jpg

20120405020451878.jpg

The speakers are a *little* bigger than I thought, but still look like they will fit in the stock speaker housing. I may have to remove the silver casing on the new ones and make a slight modification to the mounting bracket for the stock ones, but they'll fit. Somehow, I'll find a way! :whip:

As for the unit itself, it is the tuner, sound amplifier and clock all built into one. I'm concerned about the battery drain on the unit, since according to the directions, you are supposed to go right into the battery. But, reading a bunch of reviews on it, there have been people who have left it hooked up for a month and have had no issues starting, so I figure with my AGM battery it can last a few weeks. Just to be safe, I'm going to put a "kill" switch in-line for when I go on a military TDY or when winter comes around. My other concern is that there are reports of the unit getting pretty hot when it is used, so I may end up sanding down the sides and using thermal paste and some heat sinks from an old computer processor to help dissipate heat or make a weather-proof mini air intake on the fairing to get some air in there to help cool it off.

Can't wait to fire it up and see what it sounds like, and the youtube videos make it sound pretty good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amisv6trgq4&feature=related

(oh yeah... the pup in the background is Tucker. He a border collie/ lab mix, and is about 9 months old now!)

Yes! Got my new black leather seat in today! Man, these parts are coming in quick! Love it.

Here is a pic of the new speaker (with it's housing still on) and the original speaker housing:

20120406170950593.jpg

Here is a pic of removing the new speaker from the housing:

20120406171059234.jpg

To remove it from the housing, there are two screws on the back of it which are easily removed with a Phillips screwdriver. On the back of the case where the wire is, there is a little black piece that is removed by using a tiny screwdriver and applying pressure from the outside. It is tough to push that part in before removing the casing, since there is glue that not only holds the piece in place, but also to stop the wire from sliding in and out. So, when apply pressure, be sure not to apply too much that you force the screwdriver all the way through and damaging the speaker. Believe me, though... if a guy with as little dexterity as I can do it, anyone can! FYI, in order to remove the wire completely from the housing, you will need to either a) de-solder the wires, or, just break the back of the housing. I'm going to opt for choice 'b', since I don't feel like re-soldering the wires back on, and really, the case was going to get trashed anyways!

Here is a pic of the back of the speaker still in the original housing:

20120406171143490.jpg

And finally, a pic of the two speakers side-by side, both removed from their housing:

20120406171400729.jpg

Yeah, I know, turns out that the speaker in there isn't the original after all! And, the new speaker is smaller, but packs an even bigger punch for music.

I placed the new speaker inside the original housing, and it fits very easily! The only thing that needs to be done is to make a "mounting plate" for it, since the speaker is a bit smaller in diameter than the old one. Easy task, though, and can be done with a simple piece of sheet metal or wood. I've had to make speaker spacers for cars, so the theory is the same.

Now for the main stereo unit:

With the fairing:

20120406174528572.jpg

Inside the center console of the fairing:

2012040617462111.jpg

It fits!!!! Only a couple problems..

20120406174629641.jpg

It sticks out a tad. But, looking at the back,

20120406174646705.jpg

I can just trim away the parts of the bracket that are blocking it, and trim a part of the fairing away (two pictures up) where the big hole is to make room to slide it in. At that point, I just need to make a custom bracket for it, and it's in!

I can't wait for the dragon! As it turns out, with the progressive shocks already in the back, and progressive springs going up front, I'm taking out the on-board pressure pump. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and I can just as easily stow a small air compressor that will fill my tires and the suspension in one of the saddlebags. Any ideas of what I can put there? Methinks a cupholder! :smilie_happy:

While I have the false tank off and everything bare-bones, I'm also upgrading the fuse box to use blade-style fuses. Just easier to maintain. Might also just re-mount it someplace easier to access, as well, like in the the rear hatch attached to the lid. It'll make troubleshooting a bit easier if I blow a fuse, rather than tear apart the entire false tank again, since that box is NOT the easiest to access. What was Honda thinking putting it there?? :head bang:

Man... this really is nearly a complete re-wiring of the entire bike....

Can't wait to hear how it sounds! This radio setup might be just what I am looking for to make my bike naked again with a windshield only! :yahoo: (Can't do without my tunes!)

A thought on the windshield trim piece:

Instead of going thru the expense of having it rechromed, you can try what I did - sand with 280, then 400, then 1000 grit. I then used my buffer (grey) to get it close, then buffed (white) to make it shine.

I think the polished aluminum has a nicer sheen the the harsh look of chrome... IMHO

A lot of engine parts respond well to buffing also...

Keep the pics coming :wave:

Latest posts