My SCC 77 Gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 34-3 carburetor with a manifold box style. First out of the bat plugs 2/4 are darker than plugs 1/3. So I think that the manifold is unbalanced. Also inside the manifold the pipes are Not flush with the edge of the inside. I commented to the builder of this manifold and told him that this would cause bad (IMO) touberlance inside the manifold and the fuel mixture would be doing a dance so to speak. His reply to me was I made it this way. (I think this was a bad idea and I think the manifold is and will suffer from this. due to the fact of unbalanced charge (feel free to comment under anything listed) Mounted the carburetor to the manifold to find that the flange is warped. Filed and fixed. I started it up and it ran fine better than fine sat and idled perfect. Not even rich smelling,,! BUT I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE MANIFOLD ORINGS. I installed the Orings and reset everything but you could tell that it was no longer the same idling or revving bike. So I know there are no air leaks. Started it back up it burped off the plug I had on the vacuum advance. (carburetor seemed to like this plug gone) because after this plug left it was happier but Is this plug nesserry. Seems to me it needs more air somewhere or just one of them things. I've heard that this plug had to be there for some kind of vacuum. (All I know is that the 2 vacuum ports on the carb need to be capped.(stated in the setup instructions) This is what the guy told me when I asked him about this topic>> You lose vacuum that is necessary to open the progression ports on the carb behind the throttle plate. Un capping the port means vacuum loss)<<

(NOTE TO INSTALLER) Said to plug the bottom hole in lower butterfly this would cause the circuts to work better) I didn't do this I only plugged 1/2 the dia of the hole Felt that this would only come into play during idle. HOWEVER I'm unsure how far the butterfly is really open at the point of where this hole plugged or not plugged @ crusing speed so I just might go ahead and do this unless the band might think otherwise :yes:

(Note to buyer) there has been many of these sold with no returns (he will not except a return for the carburetor for it comes from another supplier, <that I had purchased another carburetor 30/31 > (Same supplier) (NOTE TO READER) if you would like to know who this is I will be more than happy to tell you if you are attempting to purchase this on a buyer beware..!

(NOTE TO SELLER) I told him that this GL1000 has Accel coils and Jardine pipes on it he told me that he never had this scc go on a bike that was in this order. Also When I first started to ask him questions he was quite a D#$k and olny till I told him that I've yet to comment to Ebay about this sale then his tune changed. And wanted to be helpful, stating with discust that his manifold scc was this and that blah blah blah. I was sooo pissed after I just laided down what I did on top of what I just spent today..! (for another carburetor) only to tell me in a Email that he will or might try out the 30/31. Also later in Emails he seem to be more helpful (yet still green to the ways of thereof I only say this due to the sort replys to such detailed Emails that I sent) Just short and kinda vage IMO. The description of the listed was well written come to find out most was coppied and pasted :rant: almost like I was talking to cm85. :0fftopic: Understand that I'm really not trying to badger this guy I'm just disappointed in the back conversation and if you are going to sell something of this latter I only feel that the person should be more profsehional shesh I can't spell but I sure an lay it down so youcan understand what I'm saying in detail IMO..!

Remounted the carburetor set the idle and the fuel mix as close as I could get it. gave it a few revs sounded good. https://goo.gl/photos/tVLQmuUtKhTvMCBL9 The runners temp was cold but as the bike ran the choke would open sooner than it should so it would not role on well kinda slow just bad by any standing (if carburetor was matched)

Took it for a ride stomped on it and it went up around 5500 6000 trembeling. Turned around for another pass took off again and she went all they way around to the red line with no issues only to not do it again.

Still idling got home end of day 1. Day 2, I started it back up tried to do some adjusting went for a ride still the same stopped on the road turned the small screw counter clockwise (fuel mixture) went again but the performance was better and worse at the same time engine rattle type sound.

Now I'm just wondering if the stock fuel pump is up for the carburetor. Or if something got in the way of something internal. I spoke to the VW carburetor people and told them that I was looking for a carburetor that was in the range of max Hp was around 80 (the first question they asked me was do I own a goldwing) and they sent me this link https://www.ebay.com/itm/130957177901?eu ... xe,ext=ext it will be here in a cpl days. Even if I get this air fuel thing figured out now I'm stuck with a manifold that is unbalanced (IMO) Due to the plug color change on plugs 2/4 or is there some other issue.

I also still have toms 32/32 DTF here I was going to try as a last ditch effort. But I will need to get a adapter plate to run from a single barrel that the carburetor flange (welded) is for a 34-3. (so if any of you guys have the link for the 1 to 2 adapter plate and a place to get the gaskets if they don't come with one that would be great because I think I'm going to finish my aluminum plenum manifold build with the runners that I have ( that I should have done in the first place but I figured I would at the least get a manifold that was even). :0fftopic: My wife is not all to happy with me for the money I just laid out and were still sitting home. :head bang: I might be wrong about the plug color reasoning but I don't think so if I am please comment on this thanks.. Any thoughts.. :laptop:

I hope I was informative enough about my SCC, I hope I have given the key points of information on how this thing is acting from the box to the bike, YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE..! Also dan can I get my scc banner now please :whistling:

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 759
  • plugs1.jpg
    plugs1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 754
  • temp of sc.jpg
    temp of sc.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 752
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 760
Take a breath and relax. Pump seems very able to supply all the fuel needed.Many of the scc carbs need the float level lowered some from the levels used in car applications. There is a main tube squirting the fuel down the throat of the carb. Be sure it is positioned so it does not spray on the butterfly or throat wall. Pretty sure the hole in the butterfly does need closed entirely. :builder:

A short riser to lift the carb above the manifold by 2" or so may help in getting more even fuel distribution. dkl has done a lot with this carb. I suggest you read some of his posts and watch his video.

It sounds pretty darn good.
I'd put some miles on it to get a better feel what the stumble under power might be.
If it's fuel starvation, it will bog at some point during a long steady up hill grade.
When you nail the throttle a lot of raw gas gets shot in by the accel pump. Could be enough to foul the plugs or fuel charge enough to stumble.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168762#p168762:1lvfwfid said:
slabghost » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:09 pm[/url]":1lvfwfid]
Plenty of folks want the stock racks. Sell them as is. Recoup some of your money.

yeah I was just kidding I'm working on something that might help spmeone out with them.

I do not find a video of it running,,,,what is the idle speed. I have good luck with the 34-3 settting the Idle higher than normal comparing it to stock carbs......I found video. Adjust it with air filter installed, and up the Idle speed,,,,may help. Give us updates. Sounds pretty good.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=168769#p168769:2nkuoxwb said:
dkl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:00 pm[/url]":2nkuoxwb]
I do not find a video of it running,,,,what is the idle speed. I have good luck with the 34-3 settting the Idle higher than normal comparing it to stock carbs......I found video. Adjust it with air filter installed, and up the Idle speed,,,,may help. Give us updates. Sounds pretty good.

https://goo.gl/photos/UqcpQaipQVPNxuvu5

Here is my ride after cleaning the idle jet and doing a little fine tuning to the carburetor.

The bike needs a valve job and reringing it wouldn't hurt either. So with the rebuild kit I have I will overhaul the engine I have in the shop in the box and use my heads I picked up from the 75. But this will work for now. As long as I don't let the engine load up it's fine and when it warms up it's ok too

Cold start before any fine tuning https://goo.gl/photos/mbYxPNim1LZHX1Ja6

Here is the bike sorry about the camera but this was for listening not so much looking down the road. The volume is loud on this video .. https://goo.gl/photos/g22jhWGCXqSbipFv5

Hope you enjoy this. It's out of the box couple turns on the carburetor and a new fuel pump. Enjoy this came from Ebay as a plug and play. I'm picking up a 30/31 soon I much let you know that I'm running Accel coils and Jardine pipes NGK plugs.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168863#p168863:1pe9hfnz said:
slabghost » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm[/url]":1pe9hfnz]
Sounds really good. A little bit of lag at throttle twist but not much. :clapping:

Yeah I'm going to have a look at the timing and get a better air filter but it's fast and ridable so not sure how far I'm going to go on this 34-3 looking forward to the 30-31 plus single barrel carburetor not to shabby. I have plenty of engines and that 32/32 I need to know where to get the adapter for a 2 to 1 :yes: Not sure where to find it seen them on bikes but need the part number..!

Picked up the main jetting from stock up/down
idle jet too. Only had one in stock Guy told me same jets for the 30/31 I would check for yourself..! Just a list of the 34-3 carburetor Jets Main. Stock then down/up
All this ran me a bill but I don't have shipping so not bad. Street and sand toys FT. LAUDERDALE FL. 33334
954-491-8085 BILLY. Hope this help you out somehow in your build.

Main jets for 30/31 and the 34-3

43-5117-7, main jet, 117.5
43-5120-7, 120
43-5122-7, 122.5
43-5125-7, 125
43-5127-7, 127.5
43-5132-7, 132.5
43-5137-7, 137.5
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Idle jet
43-5065-7, 065 E
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
113129707A, CARBURETOR BASE GASKET

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
16-9705 CARBURETOR SPACER 1/2'' (34 PICT)

00-9044-0 STOCK EMPI CHROME AIR CLEANER

Latest posts