My SCC 77 Gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is running well but I can't seem to get this H 30-31 to lean out on the idle. It will idle fine @1000 or 1100 but it idles rich. The idle jet in this carburetor is a 50 in size. It is a knock off of the German made 30-31 but runs fine responds well to adjustments on a/f and idle speed. I also have a true German made 30-31 that responds well and up there but the gasket that go's between the top and bottom of the two halfs. This gaket on the german carb exposes the idle bleed holes and idles richer. The knock off carburetor has a gasket that covers the bleed off holes and runs not so rich. The plugs at idle are black through and through, But the runnign plug looks well. just to rich on curb idle fuel mpg is good. I'm going to try to get a 45 idle jet first. if this don't work I'm going to be forced to play with the bleed holes. and hope I don;t unballance the curb to off idle. idle cruse is on this circuit so I must be careful if anyone has adjusted a bleed or know how to lean out this 30-31 pleas let me know picture is of plugs on today ride around and just above 3 grand 3300 or so.. Shifts all in the 3 grand range looking for plug will do a 4000 run 5 mile shutdown later. my main is a 127. and the pumper seems to be inlign with the main so no adjustment there I believe, I started out with a 34-3 but was to much carburetor I think the plugs had a full brown ring from the porsolinn down the 30-31 seem to be a better match idle and so on..

Attachments

• 20160402_160807.jpg
    20160402_160807.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 432
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171095#p171095:28dfqiru said:
Denver » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:49 pm[/url]":28dfqiru]
Little lean maybe, :headscratch: but no unburned fuel there :nea:
the camera not great good color on the plug. I'll try to take another picture. Rich burn in the idle for sure.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171110#p171110:8j9kzz2g said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:13 pm[/url]":8j9kzz2g]
Try setting mix screw to highest rpm while the bike is running.
That's what I did got it as good as it'sgoing to get. Ordered a 45 idle and. But for now she's runs and sounds great with the German carburetor H30-31. The 34-3 works well but the idle sounds weak. The H30-31 idle sound better you can hear the cam so to speak the other one 34-3 sounds flat.

I think you're heading the right way. Was reading an article about ethanol fuels and spark plug color, short version is the plugs will look white when the mixture is correct, not light brown. Thought it interesting, probably not applicable if running additives.

well I went 180 miles on the idle circuit that around 3200 steady and my plugs are a light gold the millage was aprox 46 on this and up in the main 4000 70 it was about 31 so I;m not sure what way to go I am runing a 127 main Guess I could dial it back some might have been the wind and weight haven't stayed at that speed long enough to say but when I filed up in Jupiter then went west and it dropped off quick going to see what's what but the idle is perfect with the choke on it runs around 2 grand for about a min then climbs to 3 grand. The electric choke works good I'm running the H 30-31. After I get some time in on the carburetor I'll get the 45 jet in and run some more jet change is easy either idle or main. I have a 30-2 but I need a riser plate to run it. This carburetor is real simple I think it would do better. The air fuel mix is like on a bike carburetor it had a spring loaded pin all clean and ready to go. I also have a 34-4 German I might try but for now I'm going to try to dial in the H 30-31. heere are some pictures and a short run with my loaded down dresser.. :hi:

https://goo.gl/photos/VbVcQx83EjXpZ2RY8

https://goo.gl/photos/n5Esj13s9nLiFb4g7

Attachments

• 20160403_161153.jpg
    20160403_161153.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 353
I like the way it runs but the idle is just to rich. This H 30-31 is a good carburetor for sure I would love to keep it on there. The idle circuit I will need to play with the tuning some more I think when I get time. I think I will also look into getting the adapter plate and bolt the 32/32 on there. I would love to know how I could know what my ppm is and know how much is enough not to rich/lean. any ideas on this or is it by smell still? Like I said the thing is 46mpg on the idle circuit but the plugs go black when sitting idling. long time 1/2 hr or so. But when you ride it all day then pull them out there just a golden ring around the porslin. Not a dark color how did the plugs look when you put the 32/32 on out of the box?

Hmm carbon charge or perfect 14 to 1 ....is something most never feel today.....I'm lucky and feel it on mooch bike ....it like there never lag spot of any kind ....even FIFs nothing more than good gas mix ...complicated to a high degree ,,,,personally I feel like when a simple carbon is right there is no better gas charge you can get.....in most cases the carbs themselfs are not up to par ....car carbs are not perfect carbs for oldwings ,,... So even though carb is adjustable dosnt mean it will dial in ....carbs have to be made for application on motor .....stock Honda carbs actually are plain poor charge makers ...people like me who have time in on what a oldwings can run like know this ....sheesh so much power in this oldwings motors when carburation is dialed in good ....hitting good charge here and there is what most get on there bikes and the motors powder is that way too .....its sure not manifold and heat that makes car carb work good on oldwings ....this is just bandaid solutions to crappy charge ....so if if your getting 46mpg is day your crazy to dump things .....is work on idle circuit ....your already besting stock carbs

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171500#p171500:1qte71xy said:
joedrum » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:55 pm[/url]":1qte71xy]
Ok im starting to get this keyboard to quit trying to teach me how to type i hope
very true. The bike runs good when warmed up 46 at a steady 3 to 3300 so thats like 60. Rich idle when you get up around 4 grand the gas mpg go's to 31mpg. I'm running a 127 main I might be able to go down to a 125 sure might loosee power pull. But if it is running lean how would I really know? will it run hot or will I need to pull the plugs a kill switch type of deal. I heard if it's to rich it will wash away the oil from the rings and cause wear faster. anyway looking into going riding this weekend.

Ok finally got see the voids
I'm with you ,,,,idle is way to rich ...when it died on cold start void it was cause by way rich condition ...drowned out. ...when accelerator pump shot gas it was over and really to rich to fire at all....also carbs built for motor twice the size need like no choke what so ever in my opinion.....on run video it was sluggish acting coming off idle under load .....another sign of rich .....ok as far as hole in plate I'd say it needs fully open for sure ....air will lean things out and hole in plate is to ad air in aplave away from gas draw ...so I'm thinking this will lean idle some probably no where near enough though ....also I think your motor is fine and if gas charge was right it be sounding good...ihavnt work with one of these carbs much ...but I'm guessing idle feed is way to much for and needs cutting back somehow....when idle is right it will eat the throttle like its hungry and rev quick also I'd say your air cleaner is way small and might be the only reason the motor flattening out at 4 6000rpm ..just a guess there ...hope you hang in there and stay with it....when charge get closer to right ...plug color will get good and manifold will seem fine and not issue you think it is its the carbs gas charge in my opinion

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171545#p171545:20g43u8p said:
joedrum » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:51 pm[/url]":20g43u8p]
Ok finally got see the voids
I'm with you ,,,,idle is way to rich ...when it died on cold start void it was cause by way rich condition ...drowned out. ...when accelerator pump shot gas it was over and really to rich to fire at all....also carbs built for motor twice the size need like no choke what so ever in my opinion.....on run video it was sluggish acting coming off idle under load .....another sign of rich .....ok as far as hole in plate I'd say it needs fully open for sure ....air will lean things out and hole in plate is to ad air in aplave away from gas draw ...so I'm thinking this will lean idle some probably no where near enough though ....also I think your motor is fine and if gas charge was right it be sounding good...ihavnt work with one of these carbs much ...but I'm guessing idle feed is way to much for and needs cutting back somehow....when idle is right it will eat the throttle like its hungry and rev quick also I'd say your air cleaner is way small and might be the only reason the motor flattening out at 4 6000rpm ..just a guess there ...hope you hang in there and stay with it....when charge get closer to right ...plug color will get good and manifold will seem fine and not issue you think it is its the carbs gas charge in my opinion
Totally agree. I'm putting the other engine together with my other jardine exhaust. looking into the bare min to run the engine and keep a battery charged. I think my true 30-2 carburetor will work better. only 2 circuits to play with. and it has a idle fuel mix screw like on a bike (spring loaded type) My o2 sensors are here now. Moc it up when I get time. Glad you are getting good plug color things are moving along. Also looking into getting a newer bike that we can ride long distance,