My trip home and the DMV from Hell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hello folks, As some of you folks know we are in San Antonio, Texas only for short time longer, my wife has a project here to be completed in June, we have our home in KCK....I go home once a month to check on things and have a neighbor and friend watch and take care of things while we are away.. I rode my bike home again, as I have many times before, I was able to try out my new Frogg Troggs this trip because it rained really well on me,, there are a few things I simply do not care for, Big ass trucks, I-35 between North Dallas and San Antonio and Road Construction....Santa Maria man... :shock: One of those is going to get under my skin everytime....I decided to take the secondary roads on my trip up, farm roads, oh man no traffic hardly, it was really nice but it got me there in Tulsa a few hours later than normally up I-35..But the ride was awesome even if it rained on me a bit..My daughter is going to University of Tulsa and I wanted to stop and visit for supper, I had no place to stay but my wife got online and found a great campsite RV park, now I had a big bag on my back seat and my daughter doesn't have a car there at school so if we were going to go anywhere she had to put that bag in her room so she could jump on the bike, Well we had our visit and it was fun, I went to check into the camp site, Mingo RV park on 11st. and Mingo drive in Tulsa, Nice place fella's $20 a night to set up your tent with electric and all...I set my tent up and crawled in to go to sleep and man if it didn't start to storm 5 minutes after I crawled in, I mean this was a terd floater fellas...Lighting and loud thunder claps, hard ones man...I had covered my bike with my tarp set up, glad I did..I need electricity for my CPAP...I went right to sleep with the rain and all..Not a drop got into my tent, Yes I was so thrilled...The tarp on the bike did well too...I woke up rested and to a beautiful sunny and cool day....So I'm loading up my stuff and I see a golf cart roll up and this fella asked me what year it was, oh Ginger is a 81 I replied, nice bike he said he had a goldwing that he has been trying to get going but didn't know how to do the belts, told him how I change mine and I think he found it to be pretty simple because it looked like the lightbulb went on..he was blown away by the alt. conversion and loved the idea of having 14 volts at idle just like a car.. He wants to check his timing but couldn't find one of the sight caps, I told him when I get back home I'll mail him one..He was blown away by that..He loved my stereo system..He loved my paint color choices and the wind vents for the radiator I made, he thought that was cool, I let him know of this site...Told him there was a bunch of great guys and gals on this site...He seemed to want to keep talking but I was ready to go, can you imagine someone actually out talked me.. :shock: :smilie_happy: He was a Native American man that loved Jap bikes...I think he went away with some good information, helpful stuff..Ok...So as most of you guys know I have a trailer here in San Antonio but I really can't take it out anywhere unless I wish to get stopped by the law for having no license plates, in Kansas if a trailer is under 2k in weight you don't have to register it or tag it,,,but it's different in every state, Texas is one that you better have a plate on the trailer or you my friends will get stopped every freakin time..Then you're going to have them want to look through your stuff like most nosy cops like to do..I figger it like this, I want a plate on it so I don't get pulled over to start with, ok so...I went to harbor freight in KCK and bought another trailer, I figger I will just sell the camo one later once I get back home, get my money back, but see I want that plate see...I wanted a license plate for my trailer so I can run around with it down here...And so I can travel throughout these United States without hassel for not having a tag..So my plan was to get the title out of the box, take it to the DMV get my plates bring the plates home and place the plates on this trailer no problem right??? :shock: :shock: Auh Fudge...Freakin fudgy fudge....I got the Morons from Hell at the DMV...I take my title in to get my plates, I explained to them I understand I don't have to register this trailer but I want to so I can have a plate for it because I travel in other states, they understood that and the girl showed the title to her supervisor, came back and told me sir you have to have this trailer inspected, I said no way I bought it here in Kansas and I don't thinks so, she said you have to get it inspected, fudge man,, :shock: I was just planning to leave it in the freakin box for now man...fudge..So I have to go get material to assemble it borrow a saw and drill from my neighbor because my tools are all here,,crap, I worked until 2 am but I built this trailer complete with a frame box and wired and all 100% ready to get inspect by the morning, I'm on my way to the inspection place so I call them first and guess what??? Tropper Gipps[women sounded sweet] at the Olatha office tells me No sir you do not have to have this trailer inspected, I said the folks at the DMV insisted I did and I got her name and went and dropped the trailer off at the house and went back to the DMV and talked to the guy there now, I told him the trooper said I didn't need it inspected so he told me he had to speak to a supervisor and there was yet another problem, I said really whats that, he said there is no sales tax receipt from where you bought it, I said it's right there on the bill of sale [receipt] from when I bought it has sales tax of the item he said no they are a dealer and they have to pay the state, I said what? He said they are a dealer and gave me a fax number and told me to call them and have them fax a sales tax receipt to them.. :shock: :shock: :shock: I didn't have there number so I drove over to the store and asked them for a sales tax receipt feeling pretty stupid asking for it let me tell you...He looked at me crossed eyes and had no idea what I was asking for..So I left the store with no receipt and pissed, :shock: I'm get mad about now :evil: ..I thought Office trooper Gibbs was so nice to me on the phone maybe I should just call her, I got her, and I told her my issue with the inspection and she told me she talked to the office there and it will be fine, I said but that isn't it they want a sales tax receipt and I explained to her that I plumb paid the silly sale tax and this is a kit that came out of a box it's not preassembled she replied it didn't matter it should be fine...So I get back to the DMV and she must have chewed someones ass because this guy there had a very embarrassed look on his face and I got my tags finally..I didn't need to assemble the stupid thing to start with or stay up until 2am working on it either freakin dumb asses, I should have called the inspect place right after I left there the first time but Noooo I listened like a good boy and assembled the Gosh darn thing, what a nightmare, fastest trailer ever built, didn't even break for dinner.. :shock: ... I rode over 1.600 miles this week with aftermarket coils that passed with flying colors... The trip home was great, butt is kinda sore...

Here is a photo my Ginger loaded up as I'm taking a five minute break North of Oklahoma City...View attachment 1 Sorry I should have taken photo's of the trailer I built, the campsite ect. maybe I'll tell the wife you guys want photo's and I 'll backtrack just to take photographs for you :shock: :shock: :smilie_happy: ....Man I just plumb forgot about pictures, camp site would have been nice one's too, shoot.. :beg: :Egyptian: Ginger did so well, not a lick of trouble, nothing, not even through all that rain..the bike sounds so much like a car, a little civic or something Honda, I passed a Honda dealer truck and got a big smile and thumbs up, a guy at a rest area asked what year it was and said she looked awesome, when I told him an 81 model should have seen the look on his face, he said wow it looks good man..I smiled for all of you guys..I just love these bikes..Two different neighbor dudes loved the alt. conversion and stereo system...Should have seen their reaction to both...I think that they think I'm sick...Goldwing sick..Ginger sick..The funny thing is this, you think I'm sick just take a good look at .........Joe Drumm ha ha ha Dan Filipi and the rest of you guys... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: You guys are just as sick...I'm quite obsessed//// :shock: :shock: :shock:

Beave Beave Beave....son....you KNOW anytime you deal with a guv-ment entity yer gunna have problems.... :rant:
I feels yer pain, tho....it's like pullin teeth to make any progress with those folks.
Not sure when it changed, but you use-ta not have to have a registration/tag on an under 2000#gvw trailer in Texas. The trick they came up with was, if you HAUL anything on that trailer, it has to be registered/tagged. Seems kinds stoopid to me, but that's the way it was 'splained to me.

Also, here, you can go down and file for a "Home Built" trailer, and get tags. They do require that a trooper look it over and verify it is "safe", but other than that, I have never had to have a trailer inspected for any reason....that must be a Kansas thang.... :Egyptian:

Yeh I plan on visiting a lot of States and I just don't want to give the fuss any reason to pull me over... they love pulling littlebeaver over for some stupid reason, I'm like a trooper magnet....I want a custom made plate now that says "Beave" on it, is all... :smilie_happy: I shall get it too.. Kansas will inspect it if, it's got a salvage title, a vehicle comes from out of state or if it's homemade...The thing is I had everything I needed and should have walked out in five minutes with my tags, instead they made my life hell..I thought they were correct, so I assembled the stupid thing..Only to be told noooo ... :shock:I'm going to be selling the camo one when I get back for about $350.00 if anyone of you guys wish it, I might be able to deliver it and all..Depending on how far away you are..Heck maybe I shall sell it before hand, lost the stupid title on it though, no matter as it can be called homemade in most states..And many states don't require plates...This one for 350.00 cash on the barrel...Trailer was 230.00 HF the rest is assembly and customizing..Neat little trailer for 350 I feel..

Glad you made it back home safely. :clapping: DMV, dum minds on vacation, yep you were at the right place, just the wrong time. Yep, that's a good price on your trailer, does this mean, THE STEALTH TRAILER is around the corner? :builder: I know one thing, you a wrench spinner from way back putting that trailer together overnite. :whip: I still haven't got mine out of the house yet and it's been like five months. :doh: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

OOOOOH don't get me started with the DMV.
I'm going to stay quiet on this one.

Glad your trip went well except for THAT.

That is a very good price for the trailer. Too bad we're not closer.

Do you wish it I can bring it to you.... :shock: :shock: :shock: No I'm not selling it until I get back to Kansas this summer...I wish to use it, I shall go fishing now without worry..

NO bev that was not Mice, that was thunder. I am dealing with CA. DMV now with the 1500 out of Oregon. Had to pay Oregon 78.00 to remove my deceased brother-in-laws name from title because Ca would not reansfer it to me without his signature (should have taken it outside and signed it myself). now have to wait 30 days for new title. Then I have to take the bike in to have the numbers verifird. this will be intresting because my sister signed the old title which we had to sorender to Oregon and the new title will not be signed. I do have a signed bill of sale so we will see how bad they can mess this up.

When I go back up to KC I shall take a photo of my one night trailer I built, I put on the after burners to finish it so I could get some sleep, but it took me until 2 am and I started it about 4pm...Well I have my plates on my trailer down here now...Yeah....Mission accomplished...Good luck to you sir...

Ohhhhhhh Man what a story , I'm sorry you had so much trouble , but ... I have NO Problem at all believing this ... I understand completely . sometime After I get the Title to my Water Buffalo I'll give you guys another version of this same story.......... :smilie_happy: