Neutral light always on

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckahleer

Reaction score
I am going to attempt replacing the neutral switch with engine in the bike. Once the bolt next to the switch is removed, does the switch just pop out? The manual says remove the bottom engine mount bolt and flex the fame. How much will it flex without damage and what tool do I use to flex it?
Thanks.

The switch is about 1 1/2" long.....and usually do not come out easily. How far to "flex" the frame depends on how much room you have between the frame and the switch. A long prybar would be the best bet to gain the space you need.

From my experience, the book is dead wrong in this case. You will not be able to flex your frame enough to get the switch out. Nowhere near enough! You are going to need to almost remove the engine from the frame to get enough room to get the switch out. You will need to remove BOTH headers, ALL engine mount bolts, AND the subframe on the left side. Support the engine with a small floor jack, as it will be ready to fall out at this point. It WONT fall out, as you still have quite a bit hooked up, including the driveshaft, but it will be totally loose from the frame. In my experience, this is the ONLY way you’re going to get that switch out. Clean your oil screen while you’ve got the engine hanging, and replace the screws with shorter screws so that next time you want to do it it won’t be darn near impossible.

Latest posts