Neutral switch kweschun...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Does the neutral switch make contact with the plunger OUT, or pushed IN? Been havin trouble finding neutral on The Turd , so while I have the engine out, I want to fix whatever the problem is. After about a half can of brake cleaner sprayed inside, and a few love taps with a hammer, I think I have it werking properly, according to my ohm meter. I have continuity with the plunger OUT, and none with it pushed IN. Is this correct?
Also...is it s'posed to have an o-ring seal, or a "boot" that fits up inside the hole in the engine case? Mine has a green "boot", but the switches I see for sell all use an o-ring. Perhaps my boot is keeping the switch from making good contact with the case? Weird...I do not remember replacing that seal last time I had the engine out for it's "rehab" a few years back. In fact, I don't recall ever even having that switch out period.

I kinda sorta found my answer in the Service manual...doesn't really specify tho if the plunger is pressed in or not. From looking up into the hole in the engine case. it looks like the plunger is pressed in with the trans in neutral...which is ass backwards from the test parameter. :unsure:

1643684113822.png

Last edited:
The gear change drum has a 'dimple' in it at the neutral position, allowing the ball bearing to drop back and the contacts to complete the circuit. When rotated into gear the ball bearing pushes the contacts away.
This will show you the internal parts. Sorry the photo is not to clear and the pop up is not working currently due to the hosting change-over.
https://www.wingovations.com/repairingtheneutralswitch

Latest posts