New big dog project coming ..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting the big dog of the road ..an MCI..DL3 97year bus conversion RV .. IT is 45ft long and 20104 inches wide ...i think it's 11ft 3 inches tall...it is powered by a detorit series 60 12.7 liter motor ..there like the first diesil ever made with electronic fuel injection ...im not real sure yet but I'm thinking it has either 375 hp or 450 ..they can be turn up to 500 up with just different electronic injection setting done with computer ...it's considered one of the best fuel pinches ever made with huge HP And torque..behind that is a B 500 allison transmission ..automatic 6 speed ..they are quite healthy too ...this combo will keep up with the best trucks out there ..mosty cause there getting less weight ...the bus is a California bus made illegal by the state ..its first trip will be 2400miles delivered to me ...most these buses have just one door ...passenger door opposite of driver ...well this bus has a wheelchair lift on passenger side or right side of bus a little less than halfway back to back of bus ..this is quite rare to have most have wheelchair lifts in the rear of bus...this will make loading things in and out of bus a breeze ...plus I have a girlfriend who is Wheel chair bound and just might take her anywhere she wants to go and see ..modifications are small inside bus has bed table couches rest room ..so it's like a bare canvas on the inside to do up as I want it ..im thinking it has 788000 miles on it ..mostly open road mileage between Santa Barbara and LAX airport. I'm told of I remember it right ...i really was looking for this year ..seems the turbo set up and fuel management was the best for all yrs made ...im hoping hooch might just load right in bus by modding lift maybe ..so instead of pulling a trailer I'm thinking one way or another hooch is going to hitch a ride in this set up LOL..come out of the bus like evil kenival ...to go riding ...any way hopefully pics soon ..cant wait to get :builder:

I've watched a few Youtube bus rescue videos. Those things are wonders! Good luck - looks like Hooch has a new ride!
I was briefly in the small boat shop on a sub tender in Charleston. We had Detroit 6-76 engines in most all of the small boats. Pretty well bullet-proof engines.

I had that engine in the last tractor trailer I owned. Bought new in 2000. One reporting quarter I got over 7 mpg, huge numbers for a tractor trailer. I had mine rated for 370/420 hp and 1550 ft/lbs torque. (higher hp in CC in top 2 gears) Pulled 80,000 lbs up hill quite respectably. Should be more engine than you'll ever need. Well cared for those should go a million miles before wearing out. Good luck.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216582#p216582:25xsgrk3 said:
dan filipi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:25 pm[/url]":25xsgrk3]
Like this one Joe?

Yes video is like the buss I'm getting ..only difference is mine has wheelchair lift and a couple stripes on it ..hashing out final deal as we speak ...huge gamble on delivery it cost a lot and is all on me the risks ......yes I'd say motor is about the best ..only one I might put better is n14 cummins 855

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216622#p216622:64t7i8wn said:
dan filipi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm[/url]":64t7i8wn]
I guess the deal didn’t happen. Joe didn’t say why.
Not 24 hours since his last post on it?

Seems deal is back on ...as it stands I'll be going to Cali and Dan will pick me up at airport ..and I will drive cross country on my first trip with it ...there will be bunch of pics and vids I'm sure Dan will see to that

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216639#p216639:3bmrh3va said:
joedrum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:55 pm[/url]":3bmrh3va]
Seems deal is back on ...as it stands I'll be going to Cali and Dan will pick me up at airport ..and I will drive cross country on my first trip with it ...there will be bunch of pics and vids I'm sure Dan will see to that

Hey that’s great news!

How much fuel do you reckon that beast will consume going coast to coast? I guess the good news is that prices are down right now. Two months ago and you would’ve paid 25% more to make this run.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216643#p216643:3rgt8fjw said:
desertrefugee » Today, 12:18 am[/url]":3rgt8fjw]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216639#p216639:3rgt8fjw said:
joedrum » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:55 pm[/url]":3rgt8fjw]

Hey that’s great news!

How much fuel do you reckon that beast will consume going coast to coast? I guess the good news is that prices are down right now. Two months ago and you would’ve paid 25% more to make this run.
My guess is around 400 gal.