New from NJ

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhharold

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1980 GL1100
Hey guys, new to the goldwing cinematic universe. Just recently picked up my new to me 1980 gl1100 about a week ago with nightmare wiring.

Best method to deal with hacked, brittle, and corroded terminal wiring I've found is to completely remove the harnesses and, with a repair manual schematic and multimeter on hand, clean/repair then test, strip and retape with high quality electrician tape. Fixing problems as they emerge is futile.

Motorhead is right, go through the whole harness section by section. Follow the factory wiring diagram. Remove any extra wires as you go and clean all the rest. An effective way to clean female and male plugs is to hang them in a cup or baggie (attached to the frame) filled with regular white vinegar. Flush with water and baking soda. If you need to replace connectors, vintageconnections.com will have the parts you need. Make sure you have a crimper designed to crimp the connectors correctly, I use their very expensive crimper, but it always works!