New gl1000 owner

Help Support ClassicGoldWings:

Dracon

Reaction score
Greetings! I’m from Nashville and picked up a 1978 GL1000 about 3 weeks ago. Previous owner had health problems and it sat for several years in a shed. I’ve rebuilt several old Honda’s, but this boxer will be a first fine me (other than a Subaru WRX). Look forward to learning and getting this old girl back on the road.

pidjones

Reaction score
Greetings from Clinton. You'll do fine. Carbs will need gone through, and always replace the belts. Check the tire age as this is a 600+ lb bike and much harder on them. These bikes are a ball to ride!

Dracon

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Funny tidbit on how I got it - guys wife put the ad up for him and since the Vetter faring said Vindicator on it, it was simply listed as a “Vindicator Silver Wing” - no year or any other info. It had 3 really bad pictures that didn’t show the seat or airbox covers on it so you really couldn’t tell what the heck it was. I zoomed in and thought I could make out Honda on the side of the engine and from there found similar pics and realized it was a GL1000. Came with 2 ramps, a motorcycle lift, extra bank of carbs, and a full extra wiring harness/regulator for $125. Needs a new exhaust and a bit of love, but for 125, I’ll take it any day!

saganaga

Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like you got a great deal.

I picked up a "sat for several years" GL1100 with some really crummy carbs (wouldn't fire on any cylinder), and found that the only difficulty is to verify all the fuel/air passages are clear. A source of compressed air is helpful.