New member in Washington State!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGmackie

Reaction score
Yippee, I'm new here! I actually made the ultimate mistake and posted in another area before posting here, I should probably be punished.

Anyway, here's my story...

A long time ago in a land far away, there lived a beautiful princess...

Wait! Wrong story. Here's the Goldwing story:

I'm active duty Navy and was stationed in San Diego, had just gotten back from overseas (boots on the ground) deployment and wanted something to spend all my hard earned desert money. Cruising the craigslist one day at work (your tax money pays for me to do this!) I run across a kind gentleman selling a "82 Honda 1100 tourer", no picture but only $250, "runs". I go look at it, low and behold he can't get it to start right now and it doesn't come with a battery, but he assures me he's ridden it up and down his block before and it's "got tons of power". I figured for 250 bucks I can sell the parts on eBay, that's how I sold it to the wife anyway! I'm the proud owner of a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade in wineberry!
Here's the only picture I have of that fateful day:

So, I got the poor thing home and started caressing her the way she needed to be, but sadly it wasn't to be. I was relocated within San Diego, while my wife went to live in Arizona (not a divorce or anything like that, I was just living in the barraks while she tried to sell our house in Arizona), the goldwing goes to AZ on a trailer. This is actually a good thing because my Dad has a shop and is more than happy to let me use all his tools, but it means I can only spend weekends working on the wing.
I make some progress:

What a mess!!

Got it back together and actually drove it!

Detail:

One more for good measure

So, there I am, right on the verge of greatness when I get orders thru a year-long training pipeline sending me to Florida, Maine, Alabama, California, and finally Washington State. The bike gets put into storage :cry:

One year later and I'm set up in Oak Harbor Washington, and back to the Gl1100.

I finally got past the issues created by storage (carbs specifically) and am starting back where I left off. As you can see from the pictures she's a bit nekked for an Aspencade, but that's about to change. Along with the electric gremlins that seem to plague this particular bike, I'm knee deep in body work and painting.
Here's how she sits today:

I'm happy to be a new member of this forum and look forward to drawing off all or your experience!
Thanks,
Brent

One last pic, here's my other ride up here in Washington:

yeap quite a bike and quite the story ....you will fit right in here .....your second ride looks fun ....welcome to the site .....there plenty of jaw power to help you out with things.... :mrgreen:

thank you ...as it is obvious with no sales pitch at all to the benifits of your work to ones of the moment that need your service....as your value is more evident than the presidents of our country have ever been .....thank you again sir....its obvious im your elder but i wish to call you sir in honor of the saddle in witch you ride and help people in need.....

joedrum":23fslge0 said:
thank you ...

Thank you! The continued support and appriciation I get from Military supporters are one of the greatest benefits of this job.

I'd just like to point out that I wouldn't be here doing the things I'm doing if it wasn't for the generations of veterans who paved the way for us to come fill their shoes. My hat always goes off to those who went before me.

BIGmackie":1vbsdn1k said:
dan filipi":1vbsdn1k said:
Are you a chopper pilot?

No, not a pilot.

I'm a Search and Rescue Medical Technician. I'm the one at the end of the rope in the second picture.

Shortly after my wife and I got married we were out hiking, she lost a hand hold and fell about a hundred feet off the side of a hill into a stream.
It was search and rescue in a helicopter who came to her rescue and air lifted her to a hospital.

Nobody can match the skill you guys have.
My hat is off to you brother and thank you for being there!

Welcome to the CGW forums, BIGmackie!!!
clapping033.gif
clapping033.gif
clapping033.gif

And :thanks: for your service! :good:

Welcome Bigmakie... my hat is off to you for your service...I spent a year up there in Washington in 60 ...at Ft. Lewis... My youngest son lives up there in Des Moines.... That was the only place in 9 years that when i arrived they issued me a set of guloshes and a full rain suit.... whei i asked why they just said YOU WILL SEE :smilie_happy: ...that was the uniforme of the day for the mext 2 weeks :swoon: loved my stay and enjoy getting back up there when i can...I just don't make any more camping trips to Yakama :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Hello BigMackie and Thank You for serving our Countries Navy. Welcome Sir.. :grin: I like your cycle there..

So much love for the Military, it's a great feeling! I really appriciate all the kind words everyone, your high expectations give us high standards. I only hope I can live up to them!
The bikes coming along slowly, I can't wait for springtime to come and take her on a trip!