New timing belts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindNWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Gates T274's just arrived in the mail.....wish me luck! :rocks:
:read: I have read all the posts (including the ones that went sour) printed out the procedure and will tackle the job today.
I credit this forum for giving me the confidence that I will prevail. My last serious mechanical attempt was back in '68 when I swapped motors in a corvair, an automatic transaxle to a standard with no help from a forum OR a shop manual.
Well, it turned out I used the wrong pilot bearing. there was a nasty vibration which ended in a destroyed transaxle! :head bang: :rant:
From that day on I've hired most of my serious mechanical work out.
I'll let you know how it goes...

dont hesistate gary to ask for help .....just go slow .... and im not sure what you read but i would loosen the valves adjusters ....antway good luck.... :mrgreen: :builder: :builder: :mrgreen:

Cool, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Take your time and double check everything.

Backing off the valve adjusters, although it's an extra step is well worth the added safety to prevent bumping a valve.

Also, check the valve timing before removing the belts paying particular attention at which mark on the cam pulleys to use and mark them with some nail polish or paint because it's easy to get mixed up and forget which is the correct mark.

Gary, I take off my radiator for maximum clearance when doing my belts. After the engine is lined up on T-1 (and on the right stroke) I put a mark with whiteout on each pulley....on the crank pully I put a mark at 0 degrees straight up on the pully and marked the block directly above it to be sure that the crank stays lined up correctly throughout the procedure. I then marked the 90 degree marks on the outside of the pulleys for the same thing. If the crank and pulleys are at T-1 correctly, the cam pulleys should be lined up on their marks at perfect 90's before you remove the belts. The right pulley (left if looking at the engine) will move when the belt tensioner is released moving the pulley off the mark as you pull the old belt. It is the cam riding on the compressed spring that causes that.

Well I have the belts on and everything looks good. :music: the old belts looked like new and they are OEM Honda but someone was there before me, the sprockets were already marked with nail polish. But I'm still glad I went in there, the right belt was very lose and the bolts were lose on that tension pulley! a lucky catch. :heat:
Tomorrow: valve adjustment, put it all back together and a trip to town for oil and antifreeze. :clapping:

Thanks for all the advice. :thank_you:

She's purring like a kitten thanks to a lot of help from folks on here. :good: :thanks: New belts, oil & filter, all new hoses, valves adjusted and a lot of cleaning in places I hadn't seen before.
I missed a beautiful day for riding although I did take a break for short ride on the Shadow the wing will be out tomorrow.

If anyone should be so scatter-brained as to button everything up on the front end and THEN realize they had forgotten to plug in the fan. :head bang: It’s not easy but it can be done without pulling the radiator again.
There is a clip on the fan frame that secures the plug coming from the fan. With the right lower fairing off, reach in with a long screwdriver and free that plug. This gives just enough slack. Now hold your mouth just right, refrain from :sensored: and fiddle with it for 15 minutes or so and it will eventually go together. No need to ask how I know.

Now on a more serious note, I replaced my crankcase vent hose with some clear plastic tubing and every time I take even a short ride it collects condensation on the inside of the tubing which eventually runs down into the crankcase. Obviously this was happening with the old neoprene hose, I just couldn’t see it. I would think this would be a problem dumping that much water into the oil. Any thoughts?

yeap i dont like them at all .....inever have those things hooked up at all ....i want pure air going to my caebs .....and atf mixed in the gas for lube in the mix ...when i took the mongruel carbs apart they were cleaner than when i originaly cleaned them spotless , shiney ...all the rubber perfect .....

i wouldnt want condensation running in my crankcase gary ....i would vent that out the back....in the catch can directly ....its funny you mention that as im doing that first thing today on the 83 im putting back togrther ...hopefuly for a test ride today....... :builder: :mrgreen:

A few drops of condensation isn't going to hurt anything. The next time the engine is warmed up that will evaporate.

I know what you mean about that fan plug. I'm surprised you could reach in there to get it, no way I could without bring the radiator forward.

Latest posts